• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cross racial trauma?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46752
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 46752

Anyone been traumatized by someone of another race and in turn every person of that race becomes a trigger? This is happening to me

@TommySunlight - what? Please, please be more specific about what you mean by 'traumatized'. I'm on the verge of thinking you're trolling this forum.

Also, have you read this, yet? : Stressor vs. Trigger - What Is A Trigger?

A short answer to your question - Yeah, I've gone through periods where anyone who is the same height/has the same coloring as the man who kidnapped me, seems for a moment to be a dead ringer for that guy - until I see his face, and it's not the right face. Personally, I'd have a had time calling it a trigger. More of a stressor that contributes to hypervigilance.

I think nationality has nothing to do with it. However, any sensory trigger can be met by things that correspond with certain people.

Men who visually resemble any of the men who've abused me put my hackles up. Men who share the same names are harder for me to interact with, and I avoid saying their names. Men who laugh like them make my skin crawl when they laugh. I wouldn't call any of those triggers, definitely slight stressors though.

I think it would be a racist decision if anyone of a certain aesthetic or nationality triggered an attack. If, say, a group of 6 white men attacked you, would you trigger seeing large groups of white men? A single white man? Or would you trigger only if they somehow resembled the attack; clothing, voices, certain words being said, certain behaviors or body posture.

If being traumatized by someone of a certain ethnicity or skin color routinely lead to fear of that nationality, white men would be the most feared demographic in the world. But they aren't. So therefore I conclude that it's just conscious, self-justified, fear-based racism.

I was assaulted by a latino man as a kid. I thought I 'hated' latino men as a teenager. It was fear-based racism that I NO LONGER CARRY because I see how horrible and toxic that is. Yet I've been abused by many white men- I do not fear white skin.

I've also heard the exact opposite argument to defend not-being-racist. "Well I was attacked by a black man, and I don't hate black people, so I'm not racist". THAT is racist BS.

hmmmm if you are triggered by people who look like your perpetrator, that is normal. But let us say if you are abused by a Chinese man and you are triggered by Chinese women or Chinese children or Chinese old people, hmm I may say that is not trigger but it may be something else.

Even my dog gets excited about most tall, slim men from the distance until they come closer and he realizes hmmm not his owner! but he does not get excited the same tall children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back