1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Csa flashback - how do i tell my therapist?

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Hopeforlife, May 14, 2018.

1. Hopeforlife

Hopeforlife Active Member

I am not sure where I should post this so please move it if in the wrong place.

I have had EMDR for the past few months and have found it very beneficial to talk my Therapist through my flashbacks and dreams. I have a specific recurring flashback and dream of oral sexual abuse. I need to build up the courage and find the words to tell my therapist but I always block up. I have tried a few times and even tried to write it down but it doesn’t make sense. Any ideas? I’m stuck on this atm and really struggling ;(

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2018
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member

Hi @Hopeforlife - we don't use trigger warnings on the site, since everything here is a potential trigger. I've made the same mistake myself so don't feel bad.

My only suggestion is to keep working. Do you have a trauma diary? I find that if I write things out there, even if it doesn't make much sense, it's easier for me to go talk about it with my therapist afterwards.

Sietz and Zoogal like this.
  4. Hopeforlife

Hopeforlife Active Member

Thanks for the heads up @somerandomguy appreciate it. I can’t edit it so maybe the moderators will.

Thanks for your response. Yes I have a diary and also have one on here but I just can’t find the words my mind goes blank. I am not afraid to share with my therapist but I just block when I am trying to communicate this particular flashback. I know once I do things should ease up for a bit.

Sietz and somerandomguy like this.
  5. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member

Well the mental block is a real thing. It's not just you ... lots of us find we lack the words to talk about what's happened to us.

What I have done is to go in to my therapy appointment with an actual list of things I want to talk about. Not a really long list if I can help it, because that just means the things I actually need to talk about will somehow slide off the chart and we'll run out of time before we get to them. And I also make a copy for my T and let her look at it before we start so she knows what I want to cover. She'll also ask questions based on my list. It's jump-started several conversations that I really didn't know how to have.

Sietz and Innordinate like this.
  6. MyWillow

MyWillow Well-Known Member

Ugh. I’m at this point too. Sometimes I just end up shaking because describing even banal flashbacks are so distressing. Mostly because I don’t know what they are about sometimes and yet they make me feel panicked.

If you are ready you could always talk to your T about the fact that you can’t talk about some stuff. Approach it that way?

Show Sidebar