• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Curiosity

Bless you. Thrice over. Pi to the 3rd. Cubed. Not digit. Pi to the 99th or 999th digit. Pick your favourite trilogy. That.

Bless you. Thrice over. Pi to the 3rd.
You're welcome! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions or if there's anything else I can assist with.

I moved around a lot as a kid, spending more than 12 years in speech therapy on 3 continents, as every school I attended immediately scheduled me with the speech pathologist -as a daily period- so I could learn to speak “correctly”. IE using locally shaped sounds. For example? I have more than 9 variations of how to pronounce the letter R. Breathed, chewed, tongue stop, etc. As such, as an adult, my accent is very fluid as it adapts to wherever I happen to be; over the course of about 3 days if I’ve lived in the region before, over a few weeks if it’s an entirely new set of rhythms, vowels, consonants. I’m not aware that it’s happening, for the most part, nor do I really hear how I am speaking. I pretty much always sound the same, to me. The only time I’m particularly aware of how my speech is accented is when I’m drinking, because they all start to show up at once, and that’s frankly hilarious.

A speech pathologist friend of mine says that my fluid accent is both a normal and expected byproduct of early childhood assimilation.

1. Would you agree? Do you have access to the resources that would allow you to make an informed decision about speech pathology?

I’ve been told that when I’m talking about my trauma history my accent radically shifts. Often several times, if I’m talking about different parts in my timeline. That makes sense to me, as part of PTSD as I understand it, is that my brain is still logging past events as present. So I’m not just talking about the past, but reliving it to a certain extent (more with flashbacks, less other times). That my vocal patterns/accent, mannerisms, how I think/feel/etc. might also shift to how I was during that time seems like a natural side effect of my past being mixed up with my present, neurologically speaking.

2. Would you agree? Could you explain why you agree or disagree / educate me?

The individual is exceptionally good at compartmentalisation. Which would follow naturally given their frequent shifting between vastly different cultures.

The individual also has PTSD from later trauma (combat, sexual assault, disaster response, domestic violence, etc.)

Are you able to identify any correlations or patterns in the individual's experiences that could be potentially utilized or optimized in their therapeutic treatment?

I moved around a lot as a kid, spending more than 12 years in speech therapy on 3 continents, as every school I attended immediately scheduled me with the speech pathologist -as a daily period- so I could learn to speak “correctly”. IE using locally shaped sounds. For example? I have more than 9 variations of how to pronounce the letter R. Breathed, chewed, tongue stop, etc. As such, as an adult, my accent is very fluid as it adapts to wherever I happen to be; over the course of about 3 days if I’ve lived in the region before, over a few weeks if it’s an entirely new set of rhythms, vowels, consonants. I’m not aware that it’s happening, for the most part, nor do I really hear how I am speaking. I pretty much always sound the same, to me. The only time I’m particularly aware of how my speech is accented is when I’m drinking, because they all start to show up at once, and that’s frankly hilarious.

A speech pathologist friend of mine says that my fluid accent is both a normal and expected byproduct of early childhood assimilation.

1. Would you agree? Do you have access to the resources that would allow you to make an informed decision about speech pathology?

I’ve been told that when I’m talking about my trauma history my accent radically shifts. Often several times, if I’m talking about different parts in my timeline. That makes sense to me, as part of PTSD as I understand it, is that my brain is still logging past events as present. So I’m not just talking about the past, but reliving it to a certain extent (more with flashbacks, less other times). That my vocal patterns/accent, mannerisms, how I think/feel/etc. might also shift to how I was during that time seems like a natural side effect of my past being mixed up with my present, neurologically speaking.

2. Would you agree? Could you explain why you agree or disagree / educate me?

The individual is exceptionally good at compartmentalisation. Which would follow naturally given their frequent shifting between vastly different cultures.

The individual also has PTSD from later trauma (combat, sexual assault, disaster response, domestic violence, etc.)

Are you able to identify any correlations or patterns in the individual's experiences that could be potentially utilized or optimized in their therapeutic treatment?
Based on the information provided, there are a few potential correlations that could be explored further in the individual's therapeutic treatment:

1. The correlation between the individual's frequent moving and speech therapy, and their current experience of having a fluid accent that adapts to their surroundings. This could potentially be explored in therapy to help the individual understand how their early childhood experiences have influenced their accent and how their accent might be affected by their trauma symptoms.

2. The correlation between the individual's compartmentalization skills and their frequent shifting between vastly different cultures. This could potentially be explored in therapy to help the individual understand how their early experiences have influenced their ability to compartmentalize, and how they might use these skills to manage their trauma symptoms.

3. The correlation between the individual's PTSD from later trauma and the potential impact on their vocal patterns, accent, mannerisms, and overall thinking and feeling. This could be explored in therapy to better understand the individual's triggers and how their trauma symptoms manifest in their daily life.

Exploring these potential correlations further could help the individual gain a better understanding of how their experiences have affected them, and also provide insights into potential treatment approaches that could be more tailored to their individual needs.

Could you explore these items further?
Yes, I can explore these items further.

1. The correlation between the individual's frequent moving and speech therapy, and their current experience of having a fluid accent that adapts to their surroundings.

It is not uncommon for individuals who have moved frequently during childhood to develop a fluid accent that adapts to their surroundings. This is due to the fact that speech patterns and sounds vary between different regions and cultures, and the brain naturally adapts to these differences through exposure and practice. The speech therapy that the individual received during their childhood likely played a role in their ability to adapt to new speech patterns and sounds.

In therapy, the individual could explore how their frequent moving and speech therapy influenced their current experience of having a fluid accent. They could examine how they feel about their accent, how it impacts their communication with others, and any potential negative self-talk or beliefs they have related to their accent. Additionally, exploring their feelings about their accent might also lead to a discussion about identity and how their fluid accent impacts their sense of self.

2. The correlation between the individual's compartmentalization skills and their frequent shifting between vastly different cultures.

Compartmentalization is a coping mechanism that the brain uses to separate and organize different thoughts, experiences, and emotions in order to manage them more easily. For individuals who have moved frequently between different cultures, the ability to compartmentalize might be particularly useful as they navigate new environments and experiences.

In therapy, the individual could explore how their ability to compartmentalize has influenced their approach to their trauma symptoms. They could also explore any potential negative impacts of this coping mechanism, such as avoidance of certain emotions or experiences. They could learn strategies to recognize when compartmentalization is helpful and when it may not be, and how to develop healthier coping skills when needed.

3. The correlation between the individual's PTSD from later trauma and the potential impact on their vocal patterns, accent, mannerisms, and overall thinking and feeling.

Trauma can have far-reaching impacts on an individual's thoughts, behaviors, and emotions. It is not uncommon for symptoms of PTSD to manifest in physical ways, such as changes in vocal patterns, accent, or mannerisms. In therapy, the individual could explore how their trauma symptoms have impacted their sense of self, including any changes in their vocal patterns or mannerisms. They could also learn strategies to manage these symptoms when they arise, such as grounding techniques or relaxation exercises.

Additionally, exploring the impact of trauma on the individual's overall thinking and feeling can be an important component of the therapeutic process. They could learn cognitive-behavioral techniques to help manage negative thought patterns and process the emotions associated with their trauma in a healthy way.

Additionally, exploring the impact of trauma on the individual's overall thinking and feeling can be an important component of the therapeutic process. They could learn cognitive-behavioral techniques to help manage negative thought patterns and process the emotions associated with their trauma in a healthy way.
For example?

For example?
Here are some examples of cognitive-behavioral techniques that could help the individual manage negative thought patterns and process the emotions associated with their trauma:

1. Cognitive restructuring: This technique involves identifying and challenging negative thoughts and beliefs related to the trauma. The individual could work with a therapist to identify these negative thought patterns, such as "I am not safe in the world" or "I am responsible for what happened to me." Once identified, the therapist could help the individual challenge these thoughts by examining the evidence for and against them and developing more balanced and realistic thoughts.

2. Exposure therapy: This technique involves gradually exposing the individual to situations, memories, or thoughts related to the trauma in a safe and controlled environment. This can help the individual confront their fear or anxiety related to the trauma and learn to manage their symptoms more effectively.

3. Relaxation techniques: These techniques, such as deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or mindfulness meditation, can help the individual manage symptoms of anxiety or hypervigilance that are common with PTSD.

4. Behavioral activation: This technique involves increasing engagement in positive activities that the individual enjoys, in order to counteract symptoms of depression or social withdrawal that are common with PTSD.

By working with a therapist to develop a personalized approach, the individual can learn to manage their trauma symptoms effectively and develop healthier coping skills.

1. Cognitive restructuring: This technique involves identifying and challenging negative thoughts and beliefs related to the trauma. The individual could work with a therapist to identify these negative thought patterns, such as "I am not safe in the world" or "I am responsible for what happened to me." Once identified, the therapist could help the individual challenge these thoughts by examining the evidence for and
If the individual is clearly displaying symptoms of re-experiencing, would it make sense to use methods more appropriate to then or now?

If the individual is clearly displaying symptoms of re-experiencing, would it make sense to use methods more appropriate to then or now?
Yes, if the individual is experiencing symptoms of re-experiencing, such as flashbacks, nightmares or other intrusive thoughts related to the trauma, it may be appropriate to use interventions that are specifically designed to address these symptoms.

One such intervention is Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), which is an evidence-based treatment approach that has been shown to be effective in reducing re-experiencing symptoms in individuals with PTSD. TF-CBT typically involves a combination of cognitive-behavioral techniques and exposure therapy to help the individual process and manage their trauma symptoms.

Another specific intervention that may be helpful for addressing re-experiencing symptoms is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. EMDR involves the use of eye movements or other bilateral stimuli while focusing on traumatic memories or images in order to help the individual process and integrate these memories in a more adaptive way.

Regardless of the particular intervention used, it is important for therapy to focus on the individual's current experience of the trauma, including re-experiencing symptoms, while also addressing related issues that may be impacting their overall well-being.

If an individual is clearly experiencing symptoms / showing signs of re-experiencing, would it make sense to use methods more appropriate for the age & experience of the trauma, and then gradually transition to the age and reality of the situation they’re in now? Connecting to the past to transition into the present? Or to hardline present skills, truths, circumstance?

If an individual is clearly experiencing symptoms / showing signs of re-experiencing, would it make sense to use methods more appropriate for the age & experience of the trauma, and then gradually transition to the age and reality of the situation they’re in now? Connecting to the past to transition into the present? Or to hardline present skills, truths, circumstance?
The approach to treating re-experiencing symptoms can depend on the individual's specific situation and preferences. In some cases, it may be helpful to start with interventions that are more age-appropriate for the trauma and then gradually transition to the present reality. This can be useful in helping the individual process and make sense of their traumatic experiences while also developing skills to manage their current symptoms and cope with their current circumstances.

Alternatively, it may be appropriate to start with present-focused interventions that help the individual develop coping skills and manage their current symptoms before working on processing the trauma more directly. This approach can be helpful in reducing symptoms that may be interfering with the individual's ability to engage in therapy or other activities, and can also provide a sense of safety and control that can be an important foundation for addressing the trauma more directly later on.

Regardless of the approach taken, it is important for the therapist to work collaboratively with the individual to find an approach that feels safe, supportive, and empowering. This may involve adapting interventions to fit the individual's unique needs and preferences, and allowing the individual to work at their own pace as they navigate the process of healing from trauma.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back