• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dark Psychology????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, my parents definitely have this triad going on and that's where my trauma comes from. I have heard that it has a tendency to skip a generation but then show back up. Does anyone know if that's true or just an old wives' tale?

@cat-lady That kind of thing is an old wives tale. There's a genetic component to narcissism-sociopathy. The nature / nurture aspect is a big part of it because children tend to become traumatized by that parental type. About half ( I'm seriously generalizing based an lots of classes and books here, thats not an official stat.) become sociopathic - the other half co-dependent and Borderline in reaction to the abuse, neglect and high drama. Of course some people turn out okay too, it just depends on the extremity of dysfunction they grow up with.

I've seen some documentaries about the brain function of the types who will be on the Dark Triad range and its interesting, there's a brain difference you can see in the scans. Also, kids that were adopted have the same issue even when given to healthy families. The ones that turn out with the Dark Triad problem usually have really high IQ's also.

The Borderline personality is not genetic according to anything Ive read or been taught, it tends to run in families because of dysfunction , not genes. Its just a response to environment, like co-dependency.

I'm not a psychologist or anything, I've read a lot, had a lot of therapy, took college classes etc. There are a lot of resources on this topic, if you're parents are like that you should look into some current books, it'll help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back