• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Dating Someone With Ptsd (being Ignored)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BA91

Hi I am hoping someone can help me understand and get through this difficult time for me. I was dating a guy who was a marine vet for about 3 months. He was home from school for the summer when I met him. Honestly a GREAT guy. Everything was perfect. From the beginning he kind of warned me there will be times where he has moments that he'll push me away or moments where he'll have "bad weeks". There was one incident where this happened and we were suppose to hang out and he basically told me he was having a bad day and just wanted to hang out with his friends. I didn't understand and I took it personally. We had a text conversation about it throughout the weekend which consisted of maybe 5 texts because he would wait hours inbetween to respond. I started to kind of understand this little episodes and was willing to give him the space he needed. Everything went back to the way it was.

Come 3 weeks ago he had to move back out of state to go to school. He knew come December (after the semester was over) he'd be moving back home because he was happier with friends and family. I knew I'd be waiting for him to come home so that we could be together. I had booked a flight to visit him which today so happens to be my departure date. I got a random out of nowhere text from his a few days ago at 2am saying "I don't think you should come next weekend" and basically went on about how he doesn't trust me. That he thinks I'm out talking to guys and partying too much. That I don't tell him what I'm doing all the time. I was simply trying to give the guy some space... but apparently he decided to read it the wrong way? Everything was completely normal leading up to his move. I've been trying to text him since this happened. Told him I care about him and that I won't "party" and keep it "low key" for him. He just won't respond to me... I had to cancel my flight today and still haven't heard from him. I just don't know what flipped...Will he eventually communicate with me? Has someone been through a similar incident? Any advice would be grateful.

Sometimes it's really hard to tell if it is the PTSD, or if it is just them. Your upcoming visit could have stressed him, or he could have cold feet. He could be stressed because of school. OR he could just not trust you like he says.

You've done really all you can do. If it is just stress, he may contact you again. Only you can decide how long you are willing to wait around for him.

Sometimes it's really hard to tell if it is the PTSD, or if it is just them. Your upcoming visit coul...

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I can't really tell. He told me he was excited that I was flying out there and had been begging me to book a flight to visit him for his birthday and then all of a sudden flipped a 180 and ignored me. Just extremely confused right now.

I also forgot to mention that during these texts conversations when he told me not to fly out and that he doesn't trust me was that he also said "I don't want to have to try to make two people happy when I'm struggling just with myself".

Sounds like we're dating the same Marine. Only mine lives 10 minutes away.
He's never straight up said he doesn't trust me. But he's talked about how everyone hurts him, and everyone tells him they won't, so he doesn't believe me. Which is basically calling me a liar, is how I see it.

@journey31 Mine only lived 10 minutes away and would say the same stuff and then when he had to move back for the semester thats when he shut off and pushed me away and accused me of being unfaithful. So strange to me really... Does he ignore you as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
@journey31 Mine only lived 10 minutes away and would say the same stuff and then when he had to move ba...
Oh yeah. He's very avoidant. But not always. He'll be OK one day then distant again. If I was the book "he's just not that into you", yeah they'd say run.
But he won't let me. He'll tell me something like if I didn't want to see you I'd tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back