• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Days to calm down??

Status
Not open for further replies.

loui50

MyPTSD Pro
When you get triggered does it take you days to calm back down?

I was recently triggered very badly and after a month finally was able to talk to T about it. That was 3 days ago. Now I feel like I'm coming down off a horrible rollercoaster. I'm exhausted and can't think straight.

Does anyone else experience this when they've been triggered and anxious and hypervigilant for a long period of time?

Took me more than 3 months to begin getting close to "normal" again after the last series of triggers from none other than family which was when I came across this site having given up on all therapists and medications ages ago and moved to a less antagonistic environment. Mind you it was a little extreme this time and reminiscent of the first years misdiagnosed and extremely agitated

I think a lot depends on the nature of the trigger or triggers and kind of think the new term I learned "adrenal fatigue" describes the aftermath better than anything else.

Does anyone else experience this when they've been triggered and anxious and hypervigilant for a long period of time?
Yes, the longer you've been in that state, the longer it takes to recover from it (for me anyway). I also think the worse the trauma was, the more time it takes also. After I quit my most recent job, I was completely exhausted.

Right now, yes. :wtf: Less 'not calm' more 'extremely (outwardly) calm, imploded otherwise & not here at all'.

Along with fun sleep disturbances, vascillating between no sleep at all & sleeping hours through at random times.:rolleyes:

Yes... starting to come down from Thursday. The part I hate the most is when the daytime levels out but the nightmares continue.

Yes, the longer you've been in that state, the longer it takes to recover from it (for me anyway). I...
Seeing that analogy I wonder how many here compared to all the alleged "professionals" I had the pleasure of dealing with in Canada before escaping years ago, comprehend that I'm not as crazy as them when saying something like I used to think like I was superman, but know I'm not now.

Yes, as @jade53 said, it's a phase. Treat yourself well, use your self soothing methods and make sure you eat and drink. I'm in the middle of a huge fear based stressor that just goes on and on, and I have really ramped up the self care stuff. It helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back