• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dealing with construction sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hyper sound-sensitive since I have anxiety, and there is construction in my building now, every day for 10 days. It just started and it's already ...ugh...it's bringing my anxiety on higher level. And it's even going on on Saturday. Every day from 9AM to like 2-3PM...

They drill a LOT! And I work from home. There is no avoiding this:(. Would go in cafe, but my work is internet related and I need dependable connection. I may have to resort to working from 3PM, 8h onwards. Which is great if I can rest in the meantime, but I can't with all that drilling.
Maybe there is nothing to do other than wait, maybe...

I have a friend who wears hearing aids and when they do this at his building he always comes to my house as he too can’t deal with it. My neighbor likes to set up his table saw in the shared drive so when he does that I get nothing done either for the amount of anxiety it produces. I don’t understand why it’s so anxiety provoking but to see you post this made realize I wasn’t the only one. I hope it’s done and over soon for you. In an apt building there is no relieve from it and it is very taxing on the nerves.

I can relate so much! They are making some new sewer and water lines across the street from me and every once in awhile I hear this loud crashing banging THUNK sound! Thankfully they are only doing this during the day, but it sure is awful! Every time I hear it, no matter how many times I do, I cringe and startle at the same time. Then it is hard to do anything for awhile. I am very over sensitive to sound and so this really does an awful number on me! I feel for you. Hope they get done soon, yours and mine. So we can live in peace.

Noise cancelling headphones and loud-ish music played through them. I had to do this for 7+ years. It's over, thank god.

It shakes the house it is so loud. I am playing music, but I hate to have stuff on my ears. I have the noise cancelling headphones, but I hate them. So I just have to deal with it.

Headphones dont work for me on those sounds. The body HEARS it. The floor shakes.

There is no escape. No way to block out the sound. I take the beating

I'm hyper sound-sensitive since I have anxiety, and there is construction in my building now, eve...

You are definitely not the only one. This has been one of the biggest issues with me being able to control my hyperarousal/hypervigilance. My son was ran over in the parking lot, and so any and all noises right now near my apartment (they guy next door yelling on the phone, the construction trucks constantly running, bass music from cars, trains at all hours. It can be hell when you can't find peace where you are. I really feel for you. I brought this up in therapy today and to some it seems like we're crazy but from what I'm reading this is a very real thing. I tend to turn up my tv or put on headphones. Most times it sets me off into a panic attack. Very real, my heart goes out to you.

I completely feel your pain. I'm hyper sensitive to sound now too, and they are doing major construction work right outside my office. I tend to wear either earplugs, or I have noise cancelling headphones that are helpful too (until somebody wants to get my attention!).

Is there a library near you? Libraries tend to have decent internet connections, and they are obviously very quiet places!

about a year ago I told my self to find music in the road noises that drive my anxiety sky high. yeah. I can't concentrate on anything else, but the anxiety does not climb as high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back