• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sexual Assault Dealing With The Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple_6

New Here
I have spent almost 10 years sweeping the thought of my rape under the rug...and I have got to say, I have done a pretty good job doing so... until now.

Now I live in a world where people speak his name often. Where his child lives in the same apartment building as me. I am constantly imagining bumping into him near my apartment. I am scared...not of him doing something, but facing what I should have faced 10 years ago. But you see its not that simple.

When I tried to face reality 10 years ago everything around me feel apart. I only wanted to tell one person...but through no fault of my own one turned into 20, and 20 turned into 40 and soon enough everyone was talking...about what a "whore" I was and how I wanted it and how I was a liar. When every single person your surrounded by tells you that you wanted it, and that your a whore... you realize it doesn't matter what really happened or what you say, people will think what they want... so why try to fight them?

I've done okay with time, granted I buried this not so secret, secret deep inside me. But now I have to face it. I cant hide from it. Now hes a part of the peoples lives that I am surrounded by and I don't know how to handle this. I have no idea what to do. My mind is constantly going. Everything is completely overwhelming all the sudden.

I don't wanna face this alone. I know I have people, friends and a wonderful fiance, but I don't wanna tell them ESPECIALLY considering how badly it went last time I opened up. Even if they didn't treat me like that I don't want them to flip out if they see him around or something. I don't want to divide people, or cause problems...I just don't wanna hold this secret in any more...and I am panicking.

I buried mine for 24 years. I took his words after the rape and decided to believe them in the deepest part of me. When the major trigger happened this year... I have a very small circle that knows. The most important thing that I did was find a trauma therapist. Took me 4 months to get up the courage to do that. I hope you can find a way as well.

Thank you for sharing. I do have a really great therapist ive been seeing for nine years and I just told her about it recently. Shes fantastic and I know she will help me a lot but its been hard to get an appointment with her these days as her hours have changed. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back