• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Death and dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I haven't been awake 30 minutes, and I am having intense anxiety about death--or more specifically, about dying. About being alone, having an acute episode of something, and dying before I can get to help. But mostly, about dying and leaving my cats behind. Or...becoming so ill that I can't take care of them anymore.

I live alone. I have a phone I keep nearby (well, usually--After this, always). If something happens to me, the cats have a place to go--the place where I adopted them ALWAYS takes pets back when the person can no long care for them.

That's not helping right now. I think about getting critically ill, losing them, then getting better and them not being here. I can't even bear the thought of that.

I don't know how to ease any of the fears. And, even though they are always present, they are so much worse this morning. No idea why.

Really sorry for your distress. 🫂
I wonder if you can thank your brain for it concerns, figure out if there is anything you can do to help - (you already have decided to always have your phone) then let your brain know you are going to park the worries for now?

Maybe gather a list of distractiins / coping techniques for persistent worries and try some out, see which help you.

Big hug 🫂

I overdosed and was unresponsive for about fifteen minutes a couple years ago. I've also lost consciousness due to head injuries. I liken death to just more of that. It's peaceful. There's no suffering. You aren't aware so there's no perception. Nothing to worry about. Thinking of the times I've almost died that terror is fundamental to our biological processes. But the reality of the subjective experience of being dead/unconscious is far less distressing. It's helped ease my own anxieties around the concept. But I still get panic attacks and convinced I'm having a heart attack. Even my arm will hurt. The brain is sneaky sneaky.

I've also lost consciousness due to head injuries. I liken death to just more of that. It's peaceful. There's no suffering. You aren't aware so there's no perception. Nothing to worry about.
Oh yeah, me, too. I'm not really worried or anxious about being dead; it's more about leaving the cats behind and that space between being incapacitated and being dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back