1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Delayed reaction to triggers

Discussion in 'General' started by ERRosen, May 16, 2018 at 7:23 AM.

1. ERRosen

ERRosen New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this site, so if this is the wrong place to post let me know.
    This is just a random question to see if anyone else has this experience-

Often times, when I am severely startled, almost to the point of an 'episode,' I guess, my brain will witness the movement (or whatever it is), and will be totally fine for a good 2-5 seconds before having a reaction. Even sometimes when it's subtle, i'm just jumpy in that moment... I don't know. My good friend, who also suffers from ptsd, calls it my 'baby response,' as I guess it visibly resembles a small babies delayed startle response.

Does anyone else get this?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Yes, it is not uncommon to have a delayed reaction to a trigger. It sounds like you first freeze and then react.

Is your friend being condescending because you have a delayed response? Sorry if I'm reading this wrong!

4. Mee

Mee Well-Known Member

I reckon your 2-5 seconds is ok and utterly within normal range, as Eve says.

Are you offended by your friend’s terminology?

Zoogal and EveHarrington like this.
  5. ERRosen

ERRosen New Member

She's not being condescending, we help normalize each others experiences with jokes like that, and if she goes to far, she is respectful when I tell her so. It just made me think about it more. I've always had a strong startle response (Thanks to my aspergers woo) but it has drastically increased after the abusive relationship I was in, and now I have a prolonged gap between calmly witnessing whatever startles me, and actually startling, and it just seemed odd to me.

Mee likes this.
Show Sidebar