• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Dental ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artimystic

New Here
Hello,
I’m Artimystic and brand new to this site.
I’ll keep my intro just that brief for now, because I need some support in going to the dentist tomorrow. I have to have a tooth pulled.
He’s a great dentist and skilled in creating a comfortable and emotionally safe environment for all types of non normative brain functioning. But I have pre ptsd and post ptsd after appointments.
It all stems from serious repetitive sexual abuse and assaults and touch triggers me. Laying down in the dental chair triggers me.
I need techniques and support. Like compassion and understanding and post care ideas.
I’m in trauma therapy but the idea of fellow traveler support is welcome and why I’m here.
Thank you
Artimystic

Hello,
I’m Artimystic and brand new to this site.
I’ll keep my intro just that brief for now, because I need some support in going to the dentist tomorrow. I have to have a tooth pulled.
He’s a great dentist and skilled in creating a comfortable and emotionally safe environment for all types of non normative brain functioning. But I have pre ptsd and post ptsd after appointments.
It all stems from serious repetitive sexual abuse and assaults and touch triggers me. Laying down in the dental chair triggers me.
I need techniques and support. Like compassion and understanding and post care ideas.
I’m in trauma therapy but the idea of fellow traveler support is welcome and why I’m here.
Thank you
Artimystic
I also have issues with the dentist or anything that requires I lie on my back. Is your dentist aware that you struggle with this? Many dentists know how to help make the experience easier. The only thing that helps me is focusing on my breath while in the chair and blocking everything else out. My dentist has offered anesthesia, which I know helps some, but I've not tried that.

After, I go home (the one place I feel pretty safe), and let myself feel however I need to. Sometimes I take a nap or a shower (I take showers for almost everything). I have cats, so we snuggle and that always makes me feel better.

Best of luck to you!

I also have issues with the dentist or anything that requires I lie on my back. Is your dentist aware that you struggle with this? Many dentists know how to help make the experience easier. The only thing that helps me is focusing on my breath while in the chair and blocking everything else out. My dentist has offered anesthesia, which I know helps some, but I've not tried that.

After, I go home (the one place I feel pretty safe), and let myself feel however I need to. Sometimes I take a nap or a shower (I take showers for almost everything). I have cats, so we snuggle and that always makes me feel better.

Best of luck to you!
Angel,
Thank you so much for your post. I think the gentleness of your care for yourself is exactly what I needed to hear.
Artimystic

Welcome to the site! I’m with you on going to the dentist! As a result, I have full dentures on top and a partial on bottom. I was in high anxiety last time I had an appointment…just for cleaning the 3 teeth that are still “mine”.

My thoughts on getting through it. Is there something you could reward yourself afterwards? I also know that the dread is much worse than the actual procedure.

Also, if there are no headphones with music or TV, you can mentally take yourself to a happy memory and concentrate on everything about that memory. Colors, smells, sounds…and maybe have a rock to hold in your hand just to have something to focus on.

One more thing…I hold my breath so I remind them of that so they remind me to breath if they see that I’m holding my breath.

I do hope it goes well…I’ll hang out in the waiting room for you…I’ll be the invisible one in the corner with a cuppa coffee…just a tiny humor helps….

Blessings and Peace for tomorrow!
AKJ

Welcome to the site! I’m with you on going to the dentist! As a result, I have full dentures on top and a partial on bottom. I was in high anxiety last time I had an appointment…just for cleaning the 3 teeth that are still “mine”.

My thoughts on getting through it. Is there something you could reward yourself afterwards? I also know that the dread is much worse than the actual procedure.

Also, if there are no headphones with music or TV, you can mentally take yourself to a happy memory and concentrate on everything about that memory. Colors, smells, sounds…and maybe have a rock to hold in your hand just to have something to focus on.

One more thing…I hold my breath so I remind them of that so they remind me to breath if they see that I’m holding my breath.

I do hope it goes well…I’ll hang out in the waiting room for you…I’ll be the invisible one in the corner with a cuppa coffee…just a tiny humor helps….

Blessings and Peace for tomorrow!
AKJ
AKJ
Ohhh thank you !! Yes I need to pamper pamper pamper.
Your little humor was soooo helpful. All your ideas are great!!!
I gave him a speech I wrote for a fundraiser that shares the general story of what happened to me. He seemed grateful and said “ now I know” he was so gentle and shared each step he was completing and how it would feel. It went well. Yes the dread was worse.
Thank you for your post.
Made me smile too.
Artimystic

Welcome to the community!

I couldn’t quite wrap my head around this part…

But I have pre ptsd and post ptsd after appointments.
…until you said you were a sexual abuse survivor.

Ah. Okay!

So, common language? Increased symptoms / symptoms spiking, dealing with a stressor, stress cup is maxing out, (& potentially triggered by XYZ) . Coolio! Gotcha! 😁

First best piece of info I can kick your way is this >>> The ptsd cup explanation <<< As it explains both what is happening, in general…why, and some major tips/tricks on how to manage things.

Secondly? I have dental “stuff” in part of my trauma history, but it makes sense why people who don’t still react reeeeeeally badly to being in an incrediably vulnerable position, forcing themselves to stay that way / stay still (or risk serious pain/damage), whilst having someone looming over them, and foreign objects shoved in their mouths, instructed on when to breathe/swallow/spit, the taste of blood and metal and bone and strangeness… x10 if any of the above is triggering aspects of their trauma, especially sexual assault which often involves oral rape or blows to the face/head/mouth or forced into a vulnerable position, but also countless other traumas. It’s like fireworks aren’t just stressful for combat vets.

Again, welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back