• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Depressed Friends Making Me More Depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyPTSD Pro
Lately I have been depressed and most of my friends have also been depressed so it's been bringing me further down. I wish I had a happier friend but I haven't met anyone happier. How do you guys deal with things when the people around you are depressed?

@8888, this is a hard one since the whole world has been thrown into unfamiliar territory with Covid and what it's done to our lives as we knew it. Many people are depressed who never were before. So finding someone that isn't down right now may be difficult.

What are some things you enjoy doing? Do you have hobbies or projects you like to do? I know for me, I need to only be responsible for myself to either process what is depressing me, or find things to distract myself.

And because we are still in lockdown for the most part, maybe find some online friends that enjoy the same things you do.

Sorry if this didn't help. It's just hard for everyone right now. Hope you feel better soon and find friends that are better to be around.

Thank you @ladee! That's true a lot of people are struggling nowadays. I collect postcards so I could organize my collection and I like to write poetry.

@8888 are your postcards sent to you or that you find at shops, markets and/or clubs. I've never known anyone who collects postcards. That is very interesting to me. Are they blank or have been written on? You don't have to answer if you don't want, just find this very interesting. Any good for you on the poetry.

What are some things you enjoy doing? Do you have hobbies or projects you like to do? I know for me, I need to only be responsible for myself to either process what is depressing me, or find things to distract myself.
I agree. Connecting over things you love rather than just constantly talking about how crap things are is so important to me. Maybe try netflix party or something along those lines and then you can discuss the film together with your friends.

I think you’re on the right lines in that the dynamic you have with people in your life is so important to your mental health and if that dynamic is based in shared unhappiness it isn’t going to be helpful for either of you. It also might be okay to bring that up with your friends and try to work on creating an uplifting space together.

Sorry for such a late response, haven't been doing well at all.

@ladee They are sent to me by other postcard collectors and in turn I send postcards I find places to them. I keep the ones I receive that are written on.

@triptych Thank you for your response! I really like the idea of me and my friends creating an uplifting space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back