Childhood Developmental Trauma

shimmerz

MyPTSD Pro
Hi Teasel. I have developmental trauma. It was and is a big part of why I think the way I do and how my nervous system is wired. I am doing my best to keep my awareness around it and do lots of things to help it like meditate, yoga, eat well, focus on self regulation and really try to have habits and schedules for myself so I don't fall into reactive mode. By and large it is working out for me but I have also been able to normalize my day to day living and that has really facilitated these changes for myself. Developmental trauma is devastating though.

Anyway, a great article by Psychology Today gives the nuts and bolts of how Developmental Trauma impacts brain development is here.
What Is Developmental Trauma? | Psychology Today UK

Van der Kolk
Developmental Trauma Disorder (d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net)

ACAMH
Developmental Trauma: How useful is this framework? - ACAMH

Laurence Heller
Dr Laurence Heller Introduces the NARM Approach to Healing Developmental Trauma - YouTube

Experiments with baby monkey. I hate these experiments but they were important to my understanding. This video is not so disturbing to me as some and at the end of it, it really crystalized how attachment for babies affected their ability to explore their world. It is an old video (circa 1950's?)
Harlow's Studies on Dependency in Monkeys - YouTube

I hope this is helpful to you and best wishes to you as you continue to heal.

Rani G2

MyPTSD Pro
Yes Teasel, have been dealing with developmental/Chronic Trauma. Shimmerz has already given good info above. Was born into a violent household, boarding schools, punishments like being locked in dark basements for hours,as a child and abandonment which lasted a couple of years. Also sexual abuse.

I have found Ellert Nijenhuis helpful (Not everyone find his work accessible),
The Alchemy of Wolves and Sheep (A relational approach to internalized perpetration in complex trauma survivors from Harvey L Schwartz)

For me the most helpful aspects of Therapy has been embodied Therapy, TRE (Trauma releasing) and Yoga. Still finding inner child work and Part therapy difficult..

Lot of strength to you!!!

Teasel

MyPTSD Pro
I'm sorry I've not replied sooner. A bit of avoidance and I forgot.

I was just listening again to Van der Kolk. Chapter 7 Getting on the same wavelength, attachment and attunement.

Talking all about attachment styles.

Had an enormous reaction of grief to the description of disorganised attachment.

It's kind of strange, I've always had difficulty in placing me as anxious or avoidant attachment style well it's because I'm both!

I shall come back to this. Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions, I shall come back to them

JGTRG

Learning
I'm sorry I've not replied sooner. A bit of avoidance and I forgot.

I was just listening again to Van der Kolk. Chapter 7 Getting on the same wavelength, attachment and attunement.

Talking all about attachment styles.

Had an enormous reaction of grief to the description of disorganised attachment.

It's kind of strange, I've always had difficulty in placing me as anxious or avoidant attachment style well it's because I'm both!

I shall come back to this. Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions, I shall come back to them
I’m also in that disorganised attachment. It’s difficult to read too because it can be read as though we are the most difficult. I’ve dedicated my whole career and studies to attachment theory, and, well still doesn’t make me feel any better when reading about it! But, we can totally understand why we would get there in the first place. X