• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

DID DID and Psychosis?

Punky143

MyPTSD Pro
It's been awhile but I'm back or to be honest - it's me and all the parts. I'm curious if anyone with DID has or has had psychosis before?
About a month and a half ago we started getting itchy more noticeable when we were in a loud overstimulating gym watching my daughter play sports. I didn't think much of it but took allergy medicine hoping it would help. In addition to that, a part was emerging; the most feared and most distant but I knew she was there. Yes, my therapist and I are painstakingly slow working on trauma. To add, she changed offices and we decided to go with her to her new one. Fast forward - the symptoms have gotten far beyond itching. We feel like bugs are crawling on us, we hear tiny clicking noises, out of nowhere we smell an awful smell, and we are convinced we can see things. Can anyone relate? I'm trying to rule all medical causes but we're scared.

We can imagine why that is frightening, and we wish you healing from that.

We have some hallucination-like symptoms that are a little bit similar. Our arm has hurt in the past when some frightened parts came up. We called it a hallucination instead of psychosis because we know what's real (nobody is hitting me, and there's nothing physical hurting my arm), even though we have the sensation of being hurt. The issues subsided as the part has made progress.

Hi Punky, my therapist dx'd me as DDNSOS and another as DID. I have had this problem before. I haven't had it for some time but when I did have it it drove me wild. When I was having it my trauma therapist told me it was most likely the nervous system being highly activated. I found this link....no idea if it is helpful or not.

Neuropathic Itch: Routes to Clinical Diagnosis

For me it seemed it was somatic responses to what I was processing at the time.
We called it a hallucination instead of psychosis because we know what's real (nobody is hitting me, and there's nothing physical hurting my arm), even though we have the sensation of being hurt.
Wendell, thank you for this. I really like the way you put this.

Yeah, it's common with the kind of formative trauma that results in DID, unfortunately. I hallucinate a lot, too. Mostly tactile and auditory. Sometimes I get into more magical or delusional thinking. In my opinion it's all part and parcel of these severe dissociative disorders. I'm dx with DDNOS as well.

I think the first 50 years of my life was spent in a delusional state. 😳 No lie.

Everything in my life seemed great for 45 of those years. Took me 5 more years to figure out I was lying to myself. Life was quite shit. I just learned how to smile through it all and convince myself it was all good. Silly me.

Still not entirely certain which is better. Delusional or reality driven. Now I think they are both kinda shit in their own way. At least at this point I am mindful of my reality and not drifting around on a cloud. 😵‍💫

We can imagine why that is frightening, and we wish you healing from that.

We have some hallucination-like symptoms that are a little bit similar. Our arm has hurt in the past when some frightened parts came up. We called it a hallucination instead of psychosis because we know what's real (nobody is hitting me, and there's nothing physical hurting my arm), even though we have the sensation of being hurt. The issues subsided as the part has made progress.
Try putting on gloves so you can’t itch anymore. The fact is the more you itch the worse it gets. If you can refrain from scratching long enough, it will stop. IT’s psychosomatic.

We feel like bugs are crawling on us, we hear tiny clicking noises, out of nowhere we smell an awful smell, and we are convinced we can see things. Can anyone relate?
Certainly could be all the stuff that goes along with DID. But it could also be neurological. Or a combination. I have all of those symptoms, and I have focal seizures. Honestly, it's not been a huge deal, once I learned to be careful with things that triggered them. I know you said you're trying to rule out medical stuff, which is a great idea!
IT’s psychosomatic.
You can't KNOW that. Maybe, maybe not.

Back