• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sexual Assault Did it happen super quickly to others too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
I survived a rape that occurred as an adult that has particularly haunted me.

Other traumas seemed like they happened slowly - almost in slow motion. The perps didn’t actually go slow, my sense of time slowed down.

Or the trauma went on and on and on. It didn’t start and end in a few minutes.

This rape? It felt like it happened quickly. It probably took a few minutes but it seemed like seconds. Like all of a sudden it was just happening and I was saying no and trying to get free. I didn’t get away, and it all happened so quickly. I was left tied up afterwards for some time. That lasted for what felt like forever. But the rape itself was fast. I was safe and then very not safe very fast.

Anyone else feel like it happened super quickly?

Maybe this is a super strange question to ask. Not sure why it’s on my brain.

It could be brain development but I think there is actually a trauma related phenomenon of the sensation of time slowing down. I don’t recall what it’s called though. Other adult traumas I have suffered seemed to happen in slow motion too.

So it’s weird to me this one stuck out as fast, and I wondered if that was because of the type of trauma, but perhaps not.

I also dissociated out part of it so perhaps that’s why my sense of time during it is confusing to me.

Consensual sex I guess may be fast but this was a different kind of fast. Like all of it seemed fast.

I guess the ripping of my soul and body - seems like it should have taken longer. I’m super glad it didn’t. So much damage in so little time.

It was kind of a mixed experience for me. The act itself was quick, I was caught by surprise. When I realized what was happening and while I was saying stop, it felt like eternity trying to get away. I don't know if that makes sense but when I try to process my rape I automatically go to that feeling. Thanks for bringing up the topic, I had the same thought but didn't know how to put into words.

I get this! My previous rape happened in slow motion (probably aided by the drugs) but my adult rape happened in what felt like seconds. So fast, in fact, I have trouble recalling a lot of details because it felt like everything happened at once.

I don't have any clue why that was though. What causes a trauma to feel "fast" or "slow".

Distortions in sense of time are common in trauma.
(There's a whole neuroscience explanation if anyone's interested.)
My second adult rape was fast.... I think I blacked it out. Heard my flat door open, he was on top of me, then he wasn't. My abuser (pedophile, long story), could switch at the drop of a hat between loving and... not so loving.

I previously obsessively researched and found the answers to go slow stuff. I unfortunately dont have the answers to the super fast stuff. Im afraid time has always been extremely distorted for me and usually most of the experience "missing" (except that I can get flashbacks from missing areas). Unfortunately most of my brain is missing these days so shall have to think to see if can find anything relevant in there about this. Do you think you could have dissociated aspects of it without being conscious of it and the rest therefore joins together in a super speedy collage?

PS. a little of it might have been in here:

About

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back