• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Difficulty getting right treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

evannaj

New Here
I'm having a lot of difficulty accessing proper care at the moment. My GP referred me to a local access team, who wouldn't refer me to a psychiatrist, but a local organisation which basically gives non directed counselling - no therapy, it's basically just talking about whatever and then leaving. I went and it wasn't helping. The GP has now told me to phone another counselling service, but I've been before and it doesn't help.

I feel like I'm not getting what I need. I need trauma focused therapies and I need some help groups, as well as strong medication to help with the anxiety and depression (I've tried SSRIs, SNRIs, etc, and none of them work for me). But I just can't access a psychiatrist or anyone who can arrange for me to get the proper treatment I need.

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about accessing a psychiatrist that isn't through the GP? I'm in the midlands in the Uk

Whoever your local NHS mental health trust should have a IAPT service or Steps2Change service which are talking therapies- you can self refer and they will normally assess you within a couple of weeks. In regards to the psychiatrist and you’ve tried the GP route, some mental health trusts have a triage number you can ring, it’s difficult because every NHS mental health trust runs so differently but most at the very least have a crisis team number if you need support, and they have access to a psychiatrist or doctor usually for support with medication management. Not sure if any of that’s helpful, but know that it can be a pain accessing services sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back