Disney 60-day Disability Accommodations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powder

MyPTSD Pro
Just wanted to share this as a couple other members have mentioned Disney.

I found out that if you go to Guest Relations at the entrance of the park, you can fill out a registration form and they will determine if you qualify for "no standing in line" accommodations.

Since I have been triggered by standing in line and being claustrophobic when surrounded by tall people, I thought this does apply to me.

Frankly, I forced myself to adapt, via positive thinking, breathing, exposure therapy essentially. I can now get in that line with some stress in my body, but I can most often work through it. But now, I don't have to, if I do this.

It lasts for 60 days only, regardless of the disability. I don't think you have to disclose the diagnosis, just symptoms due to my assumptions of legal issues.

I have yet to try this, but this is what you get if you subject yourself to this process, and you do have to bring your whole group with you to the Guest Relations area to have their card/bracelet updated as part of your group for this service so that it will override. You or as the parent of a disabled child, you have to have your photo taken. There are various accoms, such as allowance to bring stroller in a line that usually doesn't allow it, such as all the way on the Safari @ Animal Kingdom ride, etc.

1. and your group can still make your regular fast passes; this doesn't affect it.
2. in addition to your fast passes, you can enter any line and they will give you a return pass for the whole group at the line end time. So if it's a 90 minute line, your group can go grab another ride or break, and return any time after those 90 are up. No rush.
3. As soon as you use this privilege, which allows you to return and go straight to the ride, you can do this again, even on the same ride, any ride, and keep going until you leave.
4. The only limit is you can't set two returns up simultaneously.

Link for details: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../wdw-disability-access-service_2015-04-30.pdf

Friday

My experience is that Disney is always really fantastic in dealing with disabilities. The 60 day bit sounds like they're trialing a new program they're looking at offering, so expect a few bumps with it.

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
You don't even want to know what I'm thinkin' right now... but I'm not big on accommodations... I want none frankly.

I can't conceive on using accommodation's to visit a theme park... but what ever. I am glad I'm leaving Florida right now. Have at it tourists.

Friday

I can't conceive on using accommodation's to visit a theme park... but what ever. I am glad I'm leaving Florida right now. Have at it tourists.

Without accommodations we could never have taken my cousin (low functioning autism), but because of how incredible Disney is at finding solutions? Amaaaazing trip! :D Magical Place for both him & his neurotypical sister, who could never have gone because full time nursing care is too expensive, or could never have gone with both of her parents. Instead, she got to go with her whole family. <grin> A little piece of wonder for all of them. (I lived in Huntington, we went all the time & no biggie. But for them it was special and magical getting to do "normal" things, together, as a family.)

I can't help but think that policies like this one will help a lot more families go & do something together, that they just couldn't before.

As one still has to wait the length of time they would have waited in line, at least in theory, it provides little to no benefit -nor cost- for most people, although the few who hire illegals to stand in line for them I can see trying to get on this and save themselves the cost of an extra ticket & day's wages. But that scammers exist is a known quantity. Shrug.

I'm someone who doesn't tend to use accommodations in my own life, either. Hell. I don't even use my military benefits. For my kid, though? Willing to do a helluva lot more for him, than I'm willing to do for myself. & Outside of children's hospitals, Disney is flat out the best with special needs kids & families.

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
fYeah okay... considering it's more now than $100 for a pass. go for it. Which exactly is not why we've gone since the early 90's.

Pay your $$$ and get your entertainment. We live here... so what you pay is less off our backs except that Disney peeps have been training workers for their own jobs here.

Last edited:

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
Disney workers were training their replacements... I don't spend dollars for that. I'm glad my mister turned down Disney. This has been an issue here for a while. And media looks the other way and Disney has largely gotten away with it. They have been training non citizens for their jobs. We have a fundamental issue about this being Floridians since 1981.

Have fun at our expense... after all you all pay for the price of admission. However there is much here in our state behind the price of admission. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Powder

MyPTSD Pro
For my family and I, having an annual pass with FL discount and no-interest payment plan makes it so that we can afford to experience the magic of being in the parks, which, is only partly due to the entertainment but also partly sunshine and exercise. (We log over 10 miles on pedometer the day we go.)

I have not used accommodations, but if I can, I believe I should to protect my investment and make it possible to get the same enjoyment that others who don't have my physical and mental disabilities can have. I look fit for my age, but I've the endurance of a octogenarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.