• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociation and Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I neee serious help. I am 34 and I am terrified of driving and I am terrified of sitting in the same car with my loved ones. Taxi? I don’t care. I can fall asleep in the car.
I used to drive a few years ago. Heard a few scary news. Friend’s husband died in a car accident. A couple of people from our college died in car accidents as well. And I don’t know how but all of a sudden now I can’t even fathom driving again. I feel paralyzed. Now that I am a mother, I am terrified of leaving home. I don’t even want to take a bus. I have these intrusive scary thoughts. What if someone attacks me? Or my child? How would I fight back?
It’s to a point where now I feel like my world is slowly shrinking.
I look out our window and I can see the highway. Even looking at the cars driving... the traffic. It makes me dissociate and makes me feel like I don’t belong to this reality. As though I will never be part of this society.
Is it crazy? That I feel like my life ending right now is a lot more realistic than be driving?
Please share your experiences? Do you have any suggestions? How do I control my dissociation and fear because it truly is stoping me from living life and also stoping me from providing new experiences for my child. I want to change.

Hi @WhereIsMyTribe and welcome!

Are you seeing a therapist? It sounds like you've had some experiences that would make driving scary. That happened to me once. My best friend, her husband, and their child were killed in a car accident. It was in the rain, and they were crushed by those steel pipes that are sometimes carried on the back of flatbeds. I do still have some anxiety driving in the rain, but therapy really helped me be able to continue to feel comfortable driving.

Now that I am a mother, I am terrified of leaving home. I don’t even want to take a bus. I have these intrusive scary thoughts. What if someone attacks me? Or my child? How would I fight back?
Have you been evaluated for Post partum depression? Odd as it may sound, what you’re describing is a super common variant of it.

As APD & PPD are both hormone driven, you could try to therapy them away for 1,000 years to no effect, but medication to deal with the hormone imbalance + therapy = magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back