• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trapped

MyPTSD Pro
I've dissociated during flashbacks before (usually if I try to ignore it is when it gets worse) but never anything like I did last week... and I just found out about this all yesterday which is sorta freaking me out...

Last Friday I had some pretty serious stuff going on, things happened that posed an actual threat on my safety so I guess that's what triggered all of this. I'm on Concerta for ADHD every day, Buspar every day for the anxiety and flashbacks, and Xanax only when I REALLY need it when things get really bad with the anxiety. Last Friday was the first time I took the xanax after I had been put on the Buspar, so I'm not sure if maybe that contributed to this at all or not...

Anyway, it turns out I don't really remember ANYTHING from that one day last week. Well, no... I remember a little bit of the morning, but not any details really, and NOTHING from the afternoon on. Apparently though later in the evening I was talking to some people, and told them my name was a different name than it was. I don't remember talking to the people or anything at all really, so I don't know if I actually thought my name was different or if I thought I was a completely different person or if I was consciously aware of it but didn't want them knowing my real name... I don't know what was going on. It's really scary too. I don't think it's ever happened before, but I guess I really can't be sure, given that had one of my friends not finally told me, I wouldn't have known about it this time.

Your experience is not unusual: [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread6123.html"]Dissociation Explained[/DLMURL]

The more you deal with the trauma and your triggers so that you are less afraid of them, the less you will rely on dissociation. It's simply a way of coping with stress, and the challenge now is to learn new ways.

Have you learned ways to bring yourself back to reality...like look for 5 yellow things in the room, then 4 red things, then 3 blue things, 3 red things etc. This helps to bring us back to reality....works for me sometimes but sometimes not but it doesn't hurt too try.

Good luck in your healing journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back