• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociative episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember and have no recollection of making this account, or ever coming on this website. I was online trying to find support groups and came across this site! Then I think I dissociated and then I decided to write this.
Hi everyone, I'm definitely new here but apparently, I made an account 2 years ago?...
I suffer a lot with these episodes so I wanted to find people who could understand and maybe give advice and/or tips?

your profile says this is your first post, so i reckon it's appropriate to welcome you aboard. perhaps you can try making another post about that dissociation. sharing within my therapy support network is often an effective first step in heading off and/or pulling out of my own dissociative episodes.

welcome to the forum, charlotte. hope you find stabilizing companionship here.

Hi, I made a post yesterday with a bare explaination of why I wrote the post. I thought I'd take on-board the suggested and expand.
I never remember what happens during any dissociative episode, even when it's not a life threatening situation and it 'shouldn't' be happening.
All I remember is feeling stiff and like the only thing that exists is a sense of fear and the fact I feel like a heavy stone statue.
I'm not sure why I seemingly dissociate, ergh, I don't think I'm ever sure...
Sometimes I have recollection of not seeing the world through my eyes, but the only thing I am aware of is the life am viewing looking at aTV screen and Nothing else. Only what's infront of me.
Other times, Everything is a blur, almost like I need glasses, but I don't and constantly feel a pit in my stomach.

I never remember what happens during any dissociative episode, even when it's not a life threatening situation and it 'shouldn't' be happening.

in my own daily psych inventory, i would call this, "a blackout." they are genuinely terrifying to my senses. in 1971, i woke up from one blackout covered in blood which was not mine and still have not a clue what happened during that blackout.

Other times, Everything is a blur, almost like I need glasses, but I don't and constantly feel a pit in my stomach.

this sounds closer to what i call, "a dissociative episode." dissociation is where i start losing interest in the world around me, zoning out, forgetting things, etc. when i can remediate a dissociative episode, it does not have the opportunity to escalate into those terrifying, full-scale blackouts.

but that is me and i ain't no expert. . . in my own healing journey, breaking big problems into smaller chunks helps me tackle the problem in more digestible chunks.

gentle support while you sort your own.

Reality is dissociation happens when you hit the top of the anxiety scale. It's sort of a protective mechanism that retracts your conscious mind from control.

It's like watching a weird movie of yourself from inside but you aren't in control.

The only way to have it happen less is to learn to manage stress. To learn all stress is stress and get some tools for dealing with it is to start getting control of it....It all starts here:

Dissociation has a lot of different presentations, including some that are completely within the ordinary human experience (such as zoning out due to boredom or "time flying when you're having fun.") Basically dissociation is an alteration in how your brain normally processes information (sight, sound, taste, time, personal identity, memories, proprioception, nociception, literally anything).

That means dissociation can be wildly different from one person to the next.

I have DDNOS, a form of structural dissociation that relies on involuntary role-taking different aspects of my identity that are separate from one another. When these switches happen I can appear completely cohesive and fly under the radar (where another person would not be aware of my disorder unless I told them or assume I had a different disorder such as BPD or bipolar) to all around dramatically acting completely differently.

Sometimes my memories are totally preserved and I know what happened and I don't always recognize I've switched, and sometimes my memories are blurred and non-lucid and I have to put the pieces together afterward. This happened recently at the hospital when I fully switched into a piece that was at a childlike regression and it took me days to sort out what actually happened.

Some people actually lose memories altogether, which is in the realm of dissociative amnesia/dissociative fugue. This stuff can get dangerous because it alters your perception of the world and that can interfere with driving, operating heavy machinery, your personal relationships, and potentially can cause injury and confusion if you hurt yourself during one. So it's very important to get treatment to ensure that you remain safe and learn to understand your disorder.

Also I "zone out" very frequently into a state of having no thoughts and no feelings where time just passes me by and it's very peaceful.

I don't remember and have no recollection of making this account, or ever coming on this website. I was online trying to find support groups and came across this site! Then I think I dissociated and then I decided to write this.
Hi everyone, I'm definitely new here but apparently, I made an account 2 years ago?...
I suffer a lot with these episodes so I wanted to find people who could understand and maybe give advice and/or tips?
Hey I can’t say I know exactly what you’re experiencing but it does sound very familiar for myself….my now 4 yr old was born dead and came back to me but is now left severely disabled…for the first 2 years of his life it was so much all of the time I lost chunks of time. It was scary and the more scared I got the more paranoid I got so you can imagine how I ended up. I’ll just say this one of my strongest memories from those two years were the times I just sat there for hours watching myself from across the room watching my sons suffer watching myself deteriorate…stay strong please message me if you’d like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back