• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do I or dont I?? Tell my GP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunsetDawn83

Confident
I was diagnosed with Ptsd last week and I was wondering whether I need to tell my GP/doctor or if the people I spoke to will do it?? Xxx

I was diagnosed with Ptsd last week and I was wondering whether I need to tell my GP/doctor or if the people I spoke to will do it?? Xxx
It depends on whether the people you spoke to were friends/family/enemies/acquaintances/colleagues/insurance, or medical professionals.

MedPros? (In most western countries, but not all.) Won’t. That’s their license, several hundred thousand in education, millions in future earnings/their family’s security, their own life / livelihood, and their avocation. All lost, the moment they breech patient confidentiality. As it would cost them their license to practice medicine without your explicit consent.

You can revoke that consent, at any time, if you’ve already granted it, although it does create some legal wiggle room.

Everyone else? Shrug. Depends on who they are, and what they know. An “anyone else” may contact your GP. Or not. Depending on who they are, and what they want.

if you think your other med pros need to know, you need to do the informing. i would be downright shocked to hear of medical/psych pros communicating independently.

if you think your other med pros need to know, you need to do the informing. i would be downright shocked to hear of medical/psych pros communicating independently.
Depends on the country and system . In U.K. through the NHS all NHS med pros communicate to the General Practice/ practitioner via a letter which of course the patient also receives a copy of. My referral to psychiatric services is fuzzy in my mind but I believe I saw a psychiatric nurse who confirmed a GP given diagnosis ( I noted this week looking through neurological letters they also indicated PTSD ) and I don’t recall a letter about it but somehow it’s on my notes now.

So if your referral was in U.K. through NHS they will likely do it. But it does not hurt to confirm at next appointment. Under other systems or if your referral was private ( gp of self referred ) they may not do this, though you could ask them to.

I personally would not (having done so and now really regretting it), unless something about the PTSD is interfering with or influencing your current health.

MedPros? (In most western countries, but not all.) Won’t. That’s their license, several hundred thousand in education, millions in future earnings/their family’s security, their own life / livelihood, and their avocation. All lost, the moment they breech patient confidentiality. As it would cost them their license to practice medicine without your explicit consent.

I've seen a medical professional grossly breech confidentiality twice. The first time was reported and NOTHING happened. This was a world-renowned physician that I worked with. The second time was with me directly, and while I explored reporting, I didn't. The shit you have to go through is unbelievable. And they ALWAYS have a reason/excuse.

I never told my GP's anything about my mental health until last week. I've had to take off work due to PTSD and needing to get some meds and figure out the dosages and what works. I did not want a note from my psychiatrist for my work, so I went to my GP and explained what was going on and had him write the note (with no reason why or diagnosis). Now I'm off work for as long as I need and no one at work has a clue about why. I only did this because I had to, and turns out my GP is very good about it and agrees that it's no one's business.

Do or don't but be aware there are a lot of chronic illnesses that can happen because of PTSD. It would be to your advantage to have someone looking out for them.

Where I am in Canada they have a computerized system so all your health records come together in one place. So if you visit a hospital emerge on Saturday night and your GP Monday morning you GP has access to all the hospital records. Fortunately mental health doesn't really matter (to them) so it's separate, unless you want to tell health professionals.

Still, I live with a chronic condition so yes my GP knows. Apart from her, my usual is (if I need to say so)I have a mental health condition or an anxiety disorder EXCEPT when dealing with technical level medical (labs etc.) There I have no problem proclaiming it. I have had enough problems with medical stuff in my life that getting focused "first class" care is almost not an option anymore.

Reactions: Mee
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back