• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do you carry or display photographs of people important to you?

Do you keep photos on you, or display them in your home?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Anyone else have a ‘thing’ about not keeping pictures of friends/ family/ loved ones on them, or displayed in their homes?

I suspect this is just a me-thing, because once upon a time doing so put them at risk, and that’s not exactly common. I’ve never exactly gotten over it, but for several years did manage a few in my home. That ended in 2012 when I got divorced, and my PTSD kicked back into high gear. Although I don’t know if it’s related to trauma, hyper-vig, trust and connection issues; or if it’s simply falling back into old habits/patterns.

I don't keep photos on me. Around the house, there's a couple of my niece and one of me & my unofficial adopted brother. That one is there to remind me of better days and to give whoever clears out the house something to wonder about. In my billfold, there are two poems and the address for a grave at Ft Snelling National Cemetery. I suppose those will also give people something to wonder about at some point.

I don’t carry pictures (genuine question - is that an American thing? I’ve never gotten it as a custom) and I don’t put any up at home, my partner occasionally does and then bugs me for not putting any up.

Yes. Pictures of my son and stepchildren. Reminders of good and happy times. Not school pictures but the spontaneous pictures like when they were playing or daydreaming. Good memories. I need those reminders.

But NONE of my family!!

On me no. Unless on my phone counts but I’m thinking that’s not what you mean, you mean like wallet photos and I never did, and I had people act surprised or even shocked I didn’t. We have lots and lots of pictures of the kids and all of us since we’ve been married over thirty years but we don’t really like display them on the living room furniture like a shrine lol. Like wedding pictures and all that. I always thought that sort of ? Tacky and depressing idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back