• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Feel Drawn to Disaster / Fantasy Movies?

Are you drawn to disaster/fantasy movies?

• Yes

Votes: 79 49.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 35 22.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodge

MyPTSD Pro
This is something I've noticed in myself for awhile now, and wondered if anyone else feels drawn to disaster and fantasy movies. It came up in therapy today and my psych said it made sense that I was drawn to these kinds of movies, because in viewing them I'm working on my stuff - but at a remove. I can't, for example, watch a lot of crime shows because they're too true to everyday life and triggering for me. But I sometimes like to watch certain kinds of disaster/monster movies (but not slasher/horror ones!!), and I love The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films, because they're not so ordinary. Yet, in such movies, I get to see characters dealing with out-of-the-ordinary challenges, and usually the plot resolves positively. Anyone else?

Hodge,

I'm adding books to mine (because I read a lot more than I watch movies). Same genre, though. I was just having a discussion about this with an fellow employee yesterday. He said that he reads the newspaper and that's it. I said if I'm going to spend my time reading, I want something that will give me a total escape from reality.

Books or movies, I think it's the same reasons-an escape from reality and a morality play. No matter what happens in these stories, the good guys will get through it and the bad guys will receive their punishment. That doesn't always happen in real life no matter how much we wish it would.

Lisa

Reactions: nie
I am not drawn to any type of movie. I like fantasy. But there is no such thing as a story, show, or movie without conflict of some sort. Otherwise it would not be a story. So I cannot say I am attracted to one over another because of some conflict as they all have them.

I feel as if I have to answer 'it depends', because I could answer both yes or no and all depending......

It has been nearly a yr. since I've felt almost compulsively drawn to disaster movie. But, my ideas of disaster is broad. Then, I was drawn to all the psychological thrillers, domestic violence drama's, catastrophes, svu & criminal intent shows, movies with the theme of betrayal............everything dark pretty much. My only requirement was that it was real, based on reality, possible and believable. Yes, then drawn to anything and everything depicting a disaster or a disastrous life/lifestyle. And, the requirement was that these movies all had either perpetrators and victims, and/or victims of natural disasters.

It was like, it gave me something/someone (actor/actress on tv) & (victim) to relate to and not feel so alone in the world. It hurt to know, identify, understand to well and got me feeling some emotion. Emotion can be a nice treat when sick'n'tired of emotional numbness. There was only so much joy of living, cheeriness and lightness I could handle then before I'd need a fix of disaster, and for me, just to reinforce pers. beliefs about people and this world.

And, I could answer No, because truly in the last near yr. I've viewed just over a dozen shows or movies and that's it. And, a funny thing, the movies are all movies I've once dreaded viewing, ie. comedies, light inspirational drama's, movies about miracles, ect. ect.

But, I did answer it depends, bc I do think that if I got seriously ill again with my PTSD and feeling despairing, or very angry with the world, or hopelessly numb and trapped, I'd be compulsively back in front of those same dark/disaster movies.

I voted no. Infact, I avoid them. I'm more a comedy, romantic movie goer. Occasionally a drama depending on content. Always the happy ending! I feel ripped off at open-ended endings or bad ones.
Fantasy I really don't get, but I'm curious as to why people like them.
I think I must be the only person in the western world who hasn't read a Harry Potter book or the lord of the rings. Am I missing out? ;-)

I kinda find them interesting. I get a kick out of pointing out the mistakes they make.

I voted for "Depends"...most of the time I avoid movies that deal with war, for example...but sometiems they look like good movies so I have to talk myslef out of it...

I voted yes.

I saw The Brave One yesterday, and felt great satisfaction when Jodie Foster starting killing all of those who traumatized her. I think I was putting myself in her place. I must be starting the angry phase.

I do like fast paced movies (like Die Hard), but I also like the idealistic romance movies as well. I like to dream.

nor

I get very stressed out by movies with loud sounds, anger, violence, etc. So adventure and disaster movies are out for me. It's just too much.

I do enjoy fantasy movies on occassion (like Harry Potter), but only if they aren't very violent. Lord of the Rings was too much for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back