• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you find it hard to start and stick with things? How have you/are you working through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @NatBird ! I love writing as well, and spent years not following through because I didn’t think I was good enough. I think what finally did me in is “why not now” and then setting a deadline for something, then breaking it down to the minute detail of how many words a day. On days I didn’t want to, I just tried to ignore the inner critic and keep pushing.

For me the biggest hurdle is looking at the BIG picture. I see: I want to write a novel, and want to give up because there’s so many steps to get there. But if I can break it down to it’s smallest smallest steps, I can get there. I put so much pressure on myself to get to the big picture, when writing really is just one word at a time. If you can write one word today, that’s progress.

thanks for your response

your reply reminded me of that book 'bird by bird', think it's by anne lamont. it's a book about writing, do you know it?

I do try to take small steps but even those feel unmanageable. no, they don't feel enough but that is really the work of the critic

think it connects to what pam4life was saying - in the words of Kurt Cobain there's something in the way, and it feels like this sludge called grief

one word a day. I'm going to try to keep this in mind when writing

how is your writing going? if you're open to sharing

@NatBird grief is hard! Love that song too. Writing is going well, editing one novel (almost done, thinking about queries) and have plans for a few more and am picking at them. I’m going to try not to push myself like I did for the first one and just enjoy the process!

so today I had an amazing idea

I went to a writing workshop last weekend. it was such good vibes that people wanted to continue the work. the person that facilitated the session said she does not want to lead but to collaborate with participants and she welcomes others initiating

so I thought it would be good to set up a sound archive, inviting writers to send recordings of words since the workshop, and would use the recordings to curate an online oracle comprised of our recordings and later a sound installation

I wrote to the person facilitating and she was supportive, basically saying go ahead. then I got overwhelmed, felt incompetent, incapable, and the rest

as I wrote that I am aware that's my six year old self:(

Anyway, the next step is to set up a soundcloud with the group name, then post a recording, then get a friend that went to the workshop to post one (I asked already) and then say that it is up and running and ask the group facilitator to invite folks

Maybe the next step is working it through with my six year old self...

As I write, I realise I am saying it here, maybe so I can be encouraged or held accountable

Anyone up for that?

@NatBird grief is hard! Love that song too. Writing is going well, editing one novel (almost done, thinking about queries) and have plans for a few more and am picking at them. I’m going to try not to push myself like I did for the first one and just enjoy the process!

@Strangelongtrip
This is amazing. And exciting to hear. Congratulations:)

The writing project I have in mind is a memoir. I did some research on it as an artist date last week. It gave me a sense of how I might want to structure it etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the novel about?

When my husband died, I had a separate little memorial service for him. Just the small vial of ashes they give the widow for a memory necklace. The funeral was all done. This was just for him and me. I got some flowers from a florist. Then I went to the ocean and tossed the flowers one by one, then the ashes (in their biodegradable vial) and I thanked him for being a good husband. When I felt peace, I walked home. Took the bus part of the way. That helped a lot.

Usually it's depression based for me, can't be bothered, not any good anyway blahblah. Basically all different non-reasons for why it doesn't matter if I do it or not so may as well not.

I deal with this too - it's a huge issue - and I suspect mine is also, at least in part, depression-based. All kinds of ideas and things I want to do, but I get them started then...

I know I want to write and I do write. I just want to have more belief in it and be more visible with it. I know I like poetry but would like to try a mix of poetry and essay and memoir writing. I don't really know the form but maybe I can just keep writing and see what emerges, the content often chooses is form

I'm a writer as well. Have a Master's in creative writing. I have tons of projects started - some almost finished (and a memoir done and in revision stage) - but finishing is nearly impossible for me. What has started to help me fairly recently is removing all the "shoulds" from my thinking. If I do something just because I want to, I am better focused and less stressed. The depression really messes all that up, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back