• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you have a comfort food/song/hobby/etc..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sushi is my comfort food with seaweed salad and saki or a bonsai.
My VACI (vital absorbing creative interest) is cooking though since relocation I don't cook for as many as I used to - I like learning healthier options for vintage obscure, old timey and very practical recipes.
Song of course has been answered many times before - Echoes from Pink Floyd, when I'm upset it varies but the one that has been re-occurrant (sp? if it's even a word) the longest is Sorrows from Pink Floyd.

I used to make beaded jewelry for charity events... always from jet or onyx black beads (had fun shopping for vintage and a good price), pearl and vintage crystal. It is recovery related because of a Nikka Costa song... Pebble to a Pearl. Pearl being the only semi precious "stone" that comes from a living creature and is caused by a problem (grains of sand). No charity events for a while though and very limited thrift shops to find the components though.

Last edited:
Song: Isn't that funny. I love music but don't know myself well enough to say. I love guitar type blues and anything that can get to the soul. More simple that complex in structure, melodic, rhythmic telling a story. Guess that's what I like. I need to be more aware though, I can get heavy into blues which can open the flood gates to introspection and depression.

Food: pizza, bbq (grill), I have to be careful because I also have diabetes.

Hobby: None at the moment. As a kid I was active in baseball, rock climbing, hiking, boxing, some painting, swimming, music. Right now photography is on my mind.

I collect rocks and healing stones (crystals, some of them). I also crochet. I paint watercolors, using watercolor pencils and also watercolor paints combined.

Songs by Simon & Garfunkel and Josh Groban, classical harp music, sometimes contemporary Gospel.

Foods, I love whole grain crackers and pastas, black olives and cheese, olive or avocado oil. Buttermilk too. Any kind of milk, and home-made hot chocolate too!

Oh, and I love watching figure skating and gymnastics, especially Olympic ones. There are some good videos of them on Youtube.

Here is a beautiful ice dancing piece:

Meryl Davis & Charlie White Full Free Dance Performance Wins Gold | Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too many songs to choose from, as each mood and moment brings it's own flavor of required/beneficial melodies/lyrics to help get me through to the other side...or feel more comfortable where I need to rest and reflect in the moment.

Hobbies include hula hooping (both making them and using them), creating magnetic awareness/inspiration/realness on leftover small bathroom/kitchen tiles, foraging for wild sustenance and medicinal goods, learning to grow edible goodies everywhere possible, growing houseplants to help clean the air I breathe daily, percussive musical instruments, Native American flute, crafting whole food plant-based nourishment in my kitchen, and I'm there's more I can't think of in the moment that sporadically arise as the moment lends itself to the need.

But food still ranks really high on my perceived comfort scale, especially now that I can finally eat it and still remain comfortable afterward.

I finally tried and perfected a vegan gravy made with raw cashews/onion/garlic/liquid aminos to put on my mashed homegrown potatoes, made with almond milk and vegan butter...definitely a comfort food from years gone by that feels so good to revisit on occasion.

Also, my vegan version of the old school cheeseburger hamburger helper....by making a g/f rotini pasta, adding homemade salsa, walnut taco meat, nutritional yeast, and sauteed garlic/onion/bell peppers....the leftovers taste even better the next day....holy comfort food, batman!

Dates stuffed with peanut butter or walnuts and dipped in melted dairy-free chocolate chips....YUM! Reese's ain't got shit on me. lol I used to eat reese cups like they were crack, because they pretty much are. lol

French "fries" made with either sweet potatoes or batatas that are roasted to serve next to a big thick portobella mushroom "burger" on a vegan gluten-free bun.....mmmmm....now if they'd serve that through a drive-thru window, I'll gladly meet you there.

Frozen banana nice cream with a little carob/cacao powder, some fresh vanilla bean, and a dab of peanut butter....made in the food processor or with the Yonanans machine I scored at a thrift shop...kindly step aside Ben and Jerry....I've got this under control. lol

Hot chocolate made with almond milk, reishi mushroom powder, cacao powder, date syrup, cayenne powder, and a few melted dairy-free chocolate chips....simmered in the crock pot for several hours, then served topped with vegan marshmallows or whipped "cream" made with aquafaba and date syrup.....mmmm...step aside, starf*cks...lol.

To fight off cravings for edible comfort when none of the above (or any other favorites that are safe-for-me options) is prepared and ready to grab, I boil some water, grate some fresh ginger root, and make a warm ginger "tea" with some added herbs I'm feeling like I could benefit from, like stinging nettle, burdock root, sarsaparilla, red clover, hops, valerian root, etc., etc. and it helps soothe the savage beast within. That's why I start my day with it, sip on it between meals, and end my day with it.

I love listening to Cats the musical, and I draw too which helps me calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back