• šŸ’– [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] šŸ’– Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you have an air fryer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckiLee

MyPTSD Pro
And if you do do you like, love or hate it?

I received a grill/air fryer combo for Christmas and I'm not sure if I should keep it. I don't know if it will actually improve anything. What do you think?

If you have one please share your experience. Thanks šŸ˜Š

I don't personally have one, but I have definitely heard good things (and tasted good things) from mates that do.

It's a hard thing for us to judge, like whether you should keep it or not, none of us know you. But I'd say if you're unsure then at least try it a few times before you decide.

We have the most common of the two typesā€¦ that is ā€œjustā€ a convection oven w/fan. Coil in the ceiling, fans circulate the heat. Essentially a badass toaster ovenā€¦ that IS absolutely brilliant for everything youā€™d cook in a toaster oven or a regular oven. ESPECIALLY chicken, as you can make wings that donā€™t need to be steamed first, to fry in their own fat and crispy upā€¦ but it is sooooo NOT good for anything you would actually deep fry.

The fan means it also works as a food dehydrator, although my attempts at jerky have so far failed itā€™s great with fruit/veg. It has a rotisserie option but the rotisserie basket would fit one Cornish Game Hen. Nothing bigger. So it doesnā€™t ever get used. Similarly the rotisserie prongs are too fiddly, needing perfectly balanced food, for me to bother with.

As a toaster oven on steroids? Itā€™s badass.
As a dehydrator it has potential.
As a ā€œfryerā€ or rotisserie? Pfft. Nope!

The kind of air fryer that you ADD oil to a little 1/3 cup thing, and it sprays a fine mist over your food as you cook it? And circulates the oil/steam to keep reinjecting it? DOES work really well on fried foods, as long as the batter is dry or frozen. Wet batters still wonā€™t work.

Not to be a judgey asshole but the idea of returning or regifting presents always boggles my mind. Someone thought (and spent a lot of money) about you and to me thatā€™s well worth any dislike I might have for the product itself. Granted I grew up having barely anything and what was given was usually from strangers from the local church. So the idea of throwing someoneā€™s thoughtfulness in their face just feels so wrong.

To answer your question I have never heard anyone dislike the air fryer once they got one.

Technically, I bought the thing for myself with our money. J told me to get what I wanted. But thanks for not being the judgery asshole...

Thanks for the information Friday.

I donā€™t have one, but my sister and cousin both do. They made very tasty tater tots and fried chicken, quickly! I second the YouTube recipe suggestion.

My mum had one and used it for a while , mostly used it for chicken and chips (fries) as they were my step dads favourite. She got bored and asked me if i wanted it and i said no and my partner said yes ā€¦ its in the bloody cupboard and not used once . I think it makes more work for not much better result. Iā€™d get rid - sorry ive think ive bucked the trend of everyone liking it.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to return it because what is the point of making just 4 pieces of chicken??? It's too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back