• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you have to have an appointment to get your prescriptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
My Pdoc's office has a new policy. I am required to come to their office every time I need a script filled. They want me to either do that or have a teleconference. I live an hour away, I don't drive and the bus costs twenty dollars to get there round trip. My phone is running out of juice, the battery needs recharging often. Such a conference will use a lot of energy quickly. I'm fed up. I need my meds. I suspect this is all about money. They were taken over by another company recently. I live way out in the boonies, so it's not like I can choose another pdoc. There's very few available. Do you have to deal with this kind of stuff? What do you do about it?? Oh, and my pharmacy can send them requests for what I need refilled, but they no longer are willing to do that.

My guy has to have an appointment once a month along with a blood draw. They want to make sure he's actually using his meds among other testing.

My pdoc absolutely won't prescribe anything without seeing me in person. And given what the meds she prescribes do to my body and brain? Yeah, that's her doing her job.

My GP will send some of my scripts straight to the pharmacist I've been using for years. Scripts that don't have many serious side effects, and aren't addictive or anything.

Others, like my OCP (pill), she'll give me a bunch of repeats, but requires me to come in when they run out to check my blood pressure (super important given the meds mix I take). That costs. But again, it's her doing her job, keeping an eye on my health. And...I don't expect her to do her job for free:)

They want me to either do that or have a teleconference.
Do you have a computer?

Or, you can sit at home with your phone plugged in, and do the telehealth session that way.

I suspect this is all about money. They were taken over by another company recently.
I doubt it's about money. Depending on your meds, you may be able to get some of them refilled for 90 days, others 60, others 30. Honestly, it's weirder that you haven't encountered this before, especially if you're medicated for Bipolar (am I remembering that right?)

I have to come in every 3 months for an exam, blood draw, UA... and until Covid had to come in once a month for the paper script & quick chat. This is following a few years of coming in once a month for a blood draw/UA/chat about use & dose, until they trusted me enough to move to every 3 months. At any time I know it can move back to once a month, and 24/7/365 they have the right to call me in, for a spot check. It’s part of the contract I signed.

It was annoying until my medical records started being audited (first by my ex-husband during our divorce, with a court appointed doctor wading through them)... and then via a series of doctor changes & pharmacy law changes.

I can’t tell you how RELIEVING it was to have both the first & every audit afterward being met with a giant smiling doctor telling me how refreshing it was for them to see a well-charted patient, whose medical care is above board & sensible. Because, had they found gaps or sloppy paperwork/aftercare? I’d have had to be pulled off all my meds, to start a 6-12 month review process. Instead, since my paperwork was in good order & I was a regular visitor at my doctor’s office for blood draws, urine analysis, and medical eyes on my fine self ;)... there was no interruption, no battery of tests, no working my way through shitty meds with terrible side effects, all to get back to taking exactly what I take now, exactly the way I take it.

Actually, I have schizoaffective disorder and PTSD. I guess I am used to being trusted and coming in every three months. I hate change! First they took away my favorite nurse practitioner, then my Pdoc and now this.

I don't have a computer with internet access. Also, last I heard, it is dangerous to use a phone while it is being charged. It can explode!

My pdoc absolutely won't prescribe anything without seeing me in person. And given what the meds she prescribes do to my body and brain? Yeah, that's her doing her job.

My GP will send some of my scripts straight to the pharmacist I've been using for years. Scripts that don't have many serious side effects, and aren't addictive or anything.

Others, like my OCP (pill), she'll give me a bunch of repeats, but requires me to come in when they run out to check my blood pressure (super important given the meds mix I take). That costs. But again, it's her doing her job, keeping an eye on my health. And...I don't expect her to do her job for free:)
I have really good insurance. I don't expect any medical practitioner to work for free either. It's really all about the inconvenience that bothers me. But I will have to do this their way, I guess. I don't have to get blood draws that I know of, at least. I will count my blessings with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back