1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Do You Sigh From Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Anxiety, Panic & Hypervigilance' started by becvan, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I'm probably going to get a whole bunch of yes, I do that to but I'm curious about this. Does anyone sigh when their anxiety is rising? I give these big heaving sighs. I've only noticed that I do it in the last two and half months but every single time my anxiety is hitting the overload, I start sighing. To the point that even my kid notices!

So, anyone else notice this?

bec

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. moki

moki Guest

Yes, as long as I can remember. People comment on my big sighs, and I attribute it to my body trying to get more oxygen in my lungs to calm me down or something like that.

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Yeah Bec, I do...without even noticing it a lot of the time. My husband has told me that that's how he knows when 'something's up' with me is by my sighing.

Also, when my anxiety it really going, I yawn, too.

5. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Do I ever stop - it seems!

6. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

I do. I think that this is a common symptom, since when I was having trouble breathing as a kid, the doctors were keep telling my mom that "your kid is just too nervous" :) It later came out that the trouble breathing was due to asthma, however, now I do have heavy sighs and yawns which I can not stop when anxious.

7. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I sigh heavily when I am feeling weighed down with anxiety or despair. When I'm really anxious, or upset, I actually forget to breath as well!

8. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

I sigh often and definately when I am stressed to the max. My son also sighes often when he is on overload, but he is on overload alot of times caused by himself. My son just let out with a big sigh, my littler son is playing and making cat sounds and my older one is stressing out big time. Why, cause he cannot take any sounds, he has PTSD from observing a stabbing when he was little and he has bad days, today is one of them.

9. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

Yes, yes, yes. I've been noticing this sighing in myself a lot lately. Often after I've just completed some task or some stage of a task, whether or not it was a particularly stressful ordeal. It concerns me, because I know it's a sign of high anxiety and stress.

10. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I do the sighing thing as well. My theory is that when people are anxious or getting anxious, they forget to breathe, or breathe improperly. Breathing improperly causes you to sigh and yawn because your body is trying to get more oxygen. Yawning is also a primitive defense mechanism in mammals, so that might have something to do with it also.

11. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

yup, I totally sigh too, people at work always ask me why I do that, my husband too. I didn't realize that it had anything to do with anxietyuntil right now. interesting.

12. TScorpio1

TScorpio1 Member

Oh yeah. . .

I actually ended up going to the emergency room, cuz I couldn't catch my breath and was sighing and yawning every minute. I felt I was monitoring my breathing to live. Gawd, so frustrating. They ended up giving me a shot of ativan, a prescription and some xanax for when I feel that to come on.

So hard to focus at work when that happens and I'm an accountant; so it totally sucks having to try to be detailed and breathe. Really shouldn't be a struggle eh?

But the xanax works for me. Sometimes I end up taking two (.25 mg) because after one, it's the same thing. They don't knock me out, I just don't have to focus on breathing and then I can focus on work or just life.

Not into meditation, but maybe that would work for this too. Just thought maybe that could give you some insight. Turned out I was doing deep hyperventalation for over 2 days and the Carbon Dioxide was totally making my body tingle. Oh what a wonderful feeling :think: Good luck.

13. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Now I recall this thread. At the time of first seeing it, I couldn't respond bc I didn't know, nor could I imagine that I sighed when anxious at all.

But, now remembering back over this last year, this is exactly what my son has been commenting on in his frustration with me. He's stated, Do you have to breath like that when you're near me or upset. He'd say, It makes him feel guilty, like he'd done something wrong.

I've tried to explain to him that it's just the way Mommy breathes sometimes and that sighing as such does not necessarily mean I am upset with him, or upset with anyone or anything, ......it's just how I am and breathe.

I've noticed though that this deep breath and sighing when anxious has lessened and has improved greatly over the last couple months, at least I think it has, but I'm going to attempt to be more aware of such, bc perhaps son and family have just grown accustomed to it and no longer comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar