• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Anyone Else Get The "Crazy Person Stare"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye

MyPTSD Pro
I have been wondering if I am alone in this. If I end up having a panic attack either in a store or a movie theater I get this look from people that makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. It's a look that sort of says "that guy's crazy stay away from him" this is the same look that currently has me afraid to get a job. I always feel like I am being judged by how I react to different things and since I react differently I feel as if I am being viewed as an outcast. Even my wife now seems almost callus in the way she responds to my reactions. I am not saying I want sympathy or anything I just can't stand being around people when I am having a panic attack. I don't know am I alone in my feelings? Am I alone in getting reactions like that?

You certainly are not alone. That's why I fit into the general population of Walmart shoppers! But I know I've gotten "the" looked even there a time or 2. If they only knew, right? LOL

I sometimes think our loved ones tend to let their memories lapse when it comes to our condition. After all, we don't understand this crap, so how can they get a handle on it? Not to mention, this is a condition that is invisible--most of the time.

When I was in therapy, my T. told me this would happen. He said if I needed to leave--then leave. If in the store just walk away from grocery cart and go home. He told me there was nothing wrong with doing that. I can't handle having an attack in public. I have recently been trying to ride out the attack and not run home. Sometimes it works nd some times it doesn't. But believe me, you are not alone.

Even before reading the rest of your post, I was fairly certain the answer to your question would be no, you're not alone. We all think that at points along this journey, at home or in public. Having found the forum and being here has given me the very, very helpful sense of just not being alone. I have to say that in the last months I can weather those stupid looks in the grocery store better than I did before, not instantly become reactive to my husband if he's being obtuse about some behaviour of mine and also haven't felt so guilty about not 'just getting over it'. I had wonderful therapy, but this was an element I didn't even realize was missing.

I'll still leave a store if the feelings of other's judgements become too intense and have a laundry list of behaviours I fight every day. I lose some of them, just for that day I hope. The out in public 'thing' can be awful sometimes, I know! G.H. is absolutely correct, too-just leave if that's what it takes that day. Noone else has to live in your head, or know what you're feeling, or has the right to judge what the ramifications are of your PTSD, If you had a broken leg, and were struggling on crutches, someone would offer you help 'out there'. You'd also allow yourself the grace of this help. Since noone can see your particular 'broken leg', make sure you help yourself, don't push beyond your immediate tolerance level and at the risk of sounding callous- to heck with what anyone else thinks. In my opinion, it's obvious when someone in public is having some anxiety attack or awful time and others should behave accordingly. The 'gosh that person must be crazy look' is rather inconsiderate, actually. I still might have to leave when I see it, but at least now I'm also resentful.

You're SO not alone. :)

Anni

You're not alone as Anni said.

I have a stuttering and twitching reaction to sever panic attacks. I had a speech impediment when I was younger, and I broke myself of it. The only time that it comes back is when I'm feeling super emotional, and the panic attacks count as that. I try not to talk, and to relax when something has me really agitated in public. I get more of the "Oh my god he's going to snap" looks, than just straight "Crazy guy" looks, but I know exactly what you mean. I have a bad habit of wearing hooded sweatshirts as well, and pulling them up when I feel over-whelmed. Makes things better mentally, worse when it comes to the crazy guy looks.

The thing I always think about, when I hit a trigger, or when something really messes me up is this. What did I do in the past, what looks did I give in the past without realizing it that made people feel horrible, made people panic... It humbles me, and makes me more aware of myself and the wordst hat I exchange with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back