• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Sound Make Your Anxiety Worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosquito

New Here
I get real problems from some sounds, does anyone else have this?

What can I do?

I dont really know if a sound is going to affect me until it does.

Yes, it is normal. Expose yourself to different sounds to build up tolerance depending on where you are in your therapy.

Not sure if its the same as you mean, their are certain sounds for me that trigger panic attacks. Crowd noise confuses to no end that i have to leave and find a quiet place to pull myself together, some other noises seemed to be amplified ten fold.

-The seemingly constant ringing in my ears irritates the sht out of me
-At times hearing what sounds like water running from the kitchen sink faucet, when its not, is annoying
-Hearing a slight creek or pop about the house during the middle of the night raises my suspiciousness; then I have to go around and check the rooms, the doors, and look out the windows to make sure everything is okay and I am generally 'armed' while doing this
-Those immature/inconsiderate @ssholes that blast that 'bass' from their car audio speakers, especially in the middle of the night, irritates the sht out of me/it reminds me; makes me wanna go, BOOM... BOOM, BOOM, with my fist or a high powered weapon right back at them!:gunem-dow
-Any noises that are generally considered as 'disturbing the peace' usually annoys the crap out of me
-Hearing large aircraft and helicopters from the nearby base reminds me and changes my mood for the worse
-Any type of loud, sudden sound/crack/pop- I notice that it startles the sht out of me, causes me to jump facing the direction of the noise and I become extremely aggressive (all of this happening nearly instantaneously), so please don't be standing next to me- especially in my peripheral vision.:eek: :boxem:
I think I need::pot:

I have trouble with sounds that resemble gunshot or bombs, such as a muffler backfiring, a cork being removed from a wine bottle, popcorn popping, balloons popping, fireworks, etc. If someone drops a heavy book or a pan on the floor that gets me too. Actually any sudden loud noise. I also can't stand shouting. As far as songs go, I only have trouble with songs that I associate with my trauma, for example, the theme song from the TV show The Simpsons. I was watching The Simpsons just before the shooting took place.

Me TOO. Sometimes Tig listens to music way to loud for me (hurts) and we end up pissed at each other. Ringing only stops when I'm on Benzo's. Been ringing a long time.

Oh Yeah

Audio overload.. big time. The phone, the tv, the kids, noise makes me nuts. :crazy-eye Its so frustrating.. nonstop noise.. uggh !! I just want to be alone dahling.. please.. make it stop... :dummy-spi

1. Sudden loud noises throw me from my skin. I already startle easily, but
2. Loud bass, like mac said, drives me up the wall. I find myself rushing out of my apartment and yelling at the idiot to turn it down
3. When some idiot decides to sit in his/her vehicle repeatedly honking the horn instead of GETTING OUT OF THE DAMN CAR AND KNOCKING ON THE PERSON'S DOOR FOR WHOM HE/SHE IS WAITING. Rude, inconsiderate, and particularly annoying when it's one of those super-loud horns that wakes the whole freakin' complex.
4. Too many noises at one time bother me - when someone has the TV loud (even in another room), phone going, CD player, etc.

Noises bug the crap out of me.
My ears are so sensitive everything is just amplified.

If a sound repeats itself repeatedly... I snap
(ex: lady sitting beside me for 45 min in doc waiting room... sniffing her runny nose, a ticking clock, rattling or buzzing from electronics, crunching potato chips, etc)

Loud sounds startle me and usually give me an immediate headache

Lately I'm having a lot of trouble with the telephone ringer. I turn it completely off or unplug the telephone all together. It just startles me so much whenever it rings. When it's connected, I spend most of the day worrying that it's going to ring and scare me. I also disconnected the doorbell. It drives my family crazy.

I have trouble with sounds too...like batgirl said, anything sounding like gunshots, bombs etc...although all sudden loud noises...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back