• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Wellbutrin Just Stop Working Or Is It Something Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBeginnings

MyPTSD Pro
Two years ago I was prescribed Mirtazapine (Remeron) mostly because my sleep was almost non existent. Last year, I couldn't take the side effect of weight gain anymore. I had gained far too much weight and was very concerned (15+ lbs). I was then prescribed Brupropion (wellbutrin). I started with 100 mg while tapering off remeron, gradually increased to 200mg and then switched to 300 mg xl which has been very helpful for me. I experienced many improvements over the past year but the past month or so has been more difficult. Does Wellbutrin just stop working or could I be feeling down (out of sorts) because I have been more challenged in therapy? Until 2 years ago - I never took anything (but did my share of self medicating with alcohol). I very rarely drink and if I do I limit myself to one or two because I am cautious of mixing with med. anyway - has anyone heard of no longer getting benefit? (am I fooling myself that I no longer feel any benefit?)

I experienced many improvements over the past year but the past month or so has been more difficult. Does Wellbutrin just stop working or could I be feeling down (out of sorts) because I have been more challenged in therapy?
Assuming you are taking generic - did the manufacturer change? Usually when that happens, the pharmacy points it out - and the pills look different, though sometimes only in small ways.

I've taken wellbutrin for a long time; have bumped the dose up or down (with my doctor), depending on how I was doing. The only time it completely quit on me was when I was given a bottle of generic that should not have been in circulation, because the FDA had found that specific manufacturer's buproprion to be below standards of efficacy.

Assuming you are taking generic - did the manufacturer change? Usually when that happens, the pharm...
Thank you - to the best of my knowledge the manufacturer has not changed but I will call out pharmacy to confirm. Do you mind if I ask how long is a long time that you have been taking Wellbutrin? - just curious.

Par Pharmaceuticals went back and forth a bit with the FDA, but as of 2013 their bupropion XL was approved as being bioequivalent.

If you were taking brand Wellbutrin and switched, it's possible you had a decrease in effectiveness. Or, life has gotten a little more challenging. If you were taking other meds along with it, changing (lowering) those doses would be noticeable - even if the med was discontinued because of bad side effects. Bupropion is known for its usefulness as an adjunct medication- meaning, it helps amplify the effects of other meds - as well as being effective for monotherapy.

Basically....it could be lots of things.

I personally take Wellbutrin SR 400mg, as 200mg 2x/day. That works better for me than the XL. But I am also fortunate that I can afford the brand name. After all the stuff that I've read about how differently the various generics affect people - I depend on the consistency and I'm glad that's an option for me.

Sandoz and Mylan seem to get better patient recommendations than Par. Par is, I think, the cheapest. You could look into getting your scrip filled mail-order (many plans have a mail option) and see if you end up with a different manufacturer. Even different pharmacy companies in the same city can be supplied differently.

All this of course needs to be gone over with your doctor.

This is very interesting - I had no idea. I have just been taking the one med now and the only time it was in conjunction was last year when I was tapering off the Mirtazpine (Remeron). I was pleased with the transition because it sounds like stopping can be difficult. I could look into mail order - that would be a new learning curve.
I am very self conscious that I take anything for a few reasons (one being that when I was 14 i used to take my mom's pills out of her bottle so she would run out sooner - i know bad but I didn't like her taking them - but then I saved up a lot of them and decided to take them all so I would never wake up. As you see I was unsuccessful ) anyway it was a huge step for me to agree that to try something ( plus - absolutely no support from my husband and he has lots of suggestions of what I should do instead- eventually I just had to try something and he is not aware that I take anything. I know secrets are bad but I was in a space that I needed to do that.) Boy am I rambling - I do have an appt to check in regarding my med in a couple of weeks at which point I will do my best to share where I am at. I was thinking if the effectiveness wears out maybe it is a time to take a break but you didn't seem to indicate that what I am experiencing was necessarily saying that.

In my experience/reading, bupropion is not a medication that decreases in efficacy after a period of time. Some meds do - but this isn't one of them. (It's actually the only drug I take that hasn't quit on me )

Par Pharmaceuticals went back and forth a bit with the FDA, but as of 2013 their bupropion XL was ap...

Par Pharma generic Wellbutrin 300mg XL is what worked for me for 7 years. Then the pharmacy switched the generic to Activas. I felt different the 1st month, now after 3 months on the other generic my depression is back. I called to see how much branded Wellbutrin would be, $2003.00 a month. Called around to see if any pharmacy had Par manufacturer, nobody so far. I am going to ask my Dr to write a Prior Auth "Letter of Medical Necessity" for branded Wellbutrin.
If I do find Par generic Wellbutrin somewhere there is no guarantee that the following month that same drug store won't switch to carry Activas or Teva generic.

Par Pharmaceuticals went back and forth a bit with the FDA, but as of 2013 their bupropion XL was ap...

Teva- that was one that pulled due to inefficacy

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to ask my Dr to write a Prior Auth "Letter of Medical Necessity" for branded Wellbutrin.
I hope this worked out for you. It’s been the only solution for me. Getting the prior auth re-upped periodically is a real pain, but it’s worth it to know I’m actually getting the same drug every month. I’m sorry you have been going through this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back