• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Doing Something I Am Not Ready For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

MyPTSD Pro
Guys, there is some story happened to me this morning.
I just finished my morning class and went to the college cafe for a cup of coffee. In the lobby, I saw a coulp of African girls selling something. One of them spoke to me:
-Good morning - she said in a friendly tone - can I tell you about our event?
-Oh, sure, yes - I replied. And look around - just in case. :smile:
-We are planning to have a "Journey to Motherland" event on March, first - she said. - There will be poeple from all parts of Africa, we will have a dinner, and some native African dancing, and other pleasant stuff. The tickets are just $10.
Well, I had always been interested in African and Latin American cultures. Yes, that would be a pleasure for me to participate in the event like this.
But.
I have not been at any social event for so long time! And I had never been at the event where I do not know anyone. Last time I went to the party made by me previous company, and took me mother with me. The party resulted in very little fun, although I new everyone there. I was just feeling a way too alarmed and could not relax, even after taking a Margarita. Of course, I did not dance, and was only sitting in corner. Another time, just a few mounths ago, my husband and me try to go the the local Laosian festiival. Wheb we saw so many people aruond, we both freacked out and almost RAN away. :eek:
And now, I do not know why, I bought the ticket to the African party.
I do not know if I will go there, even now, when I try to imagine being surroundedby strangers, I become anoxious. But I at least want to try. Will ask for my councelor's advise on the next appointment on Monday. Will try to take my step-daughter with me.
Let's see. I'm hopeful.
I strongly beleive that I can fight PTSD and win.

I went to a holiday party at my fencing instructor's home. There were people I knew and people I didn't know. I wanted to go, but I was afraid of how I would react and all that. Actually the reason I went was because I gave myself a mental dare.

I sat down and talked to my husband about it. We talked about the pros and cons and decided that we'd give it an hour and if it wasn't working, we'd go home. We actually ended up staying three hour and only went home because my husband's leg was bothering him (he'd recently had skin graft surgery).

But maybe if you make a plan (with an exit figured in) it might not be so stressful and you can enjoy yourself.

Best of luck!

I say go... your already in school and making it through that. Maybe this event will bring you closer to winning the fight against PTSD. Good luck.

The hardest part is thinking about going and then getting yourself out of your house. Once you're there, you'll feel great about having made it there. If after a bit, you're feeling restless, you can leave. At least give it a try, you'll feel better once you do. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back