• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Drug induced ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebruh

New Here
Hey guys, so I've seen a few threads similar to what I'll be posting but I don't know. So I'm an ex amphetamine addict, I was very heavily addicted, I was also on antidepressants, drinking, taking pain meds(codeine, lean, etc.). At the beginning of my addiction I was in a relationship with a suicidal girlfriend(She'd tried to kill herself twice but failed) who I'd talked down from the edge more than once, then shit happened and we broke up, she started cutting herself again, nearly killed herself again. That's when my addiction really began, I overdosed twice. when I got clean I had severe hallucinations, panic attacks, extreme paranoia ,etc. most symptoms of the withdrawal lasted months afterward. Anyways, pretty much ever since I got clean I've been having very very vivid flashbacks and nightmares that are almost always about the near death experiences I've had on drugs and my ex who I feel I drove to the edge. I've woken up in the middle of the night yelling and shit, I've barely been able to get 2-3 hours of sleep a night, I've lost alot of weight, withdrawn from regular life(confining myself to my house mainly). I have random episodes of complete hopelessness and I've been to a few different therapists who never tell me what's wrong with me. I'm wondering if it's possible I have PTSD from this stuff but don't want to go to yet another doctor just to have them not say anything.

No, It isn't possible, the criteria for diagnosis specifically rules it out, but PTSD can lead to drug use. Seeing someone try to kill themselves does qualify though. On the flip side, meth seriously messes with the brain chemistry and can cause permanent damage and other disorders.

Kudos to you for getting clean! Meth alone is hella hard to stop.

Drugs can't induce PTSD. Trauma induces PTSD. And you have been through some serious near death experiences for you and someone you loved, and that could lead to PTSD.

Recovering from drug abuse can also include many symptoms like nightmares, depression, and anxiety.

At the same time, I don't think your symptoms are all side effects from the drug abuse. You were trying to escape pain, and some of that pain is likely surfacing now.
and my ex who I feel I drove to the edge.
Take responsibility for your choices, but don't try to take responsibility for hers. Her suicide attempts are not your fault.
I have random episodes of complete hopelessness and I've been to a few different therapists who never tell me what's wrong with me. I'm wondering if it's possible I have PTSD from this stuff but don't want to go to yet another doctor just to have them not say anything.
Have you tried asking them point blank what they believe is your diagnosis? They should be able to tell you at least a working hypothesis or what would need to happen for them to get to that point (more sessions or etc.) No one here can diagnose, but they can, and should be communicating that information upon your request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back