• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dysania

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamachick

MyPTSD Pro
I recently came across information on "dysania" and another term that describes people that can not get out of bed. Of course depression is what comes to mind but even when I don't feel really depressed, an argument goes on in my head to get up. Sometimes I will brush teeth and wash face and then back to bed. Its like I am coaxing myself and often fail. I spend an inordinate amount of time in bed.

One article I read said it is an addiction to being in bed and often caused by severe anxiety. Says its treatable and we must push ourself to have a nice breakfast, go to the gym or for a walk, write out a plan in advance for the day of tasks. This hasn't worked for me, but it does feel like an addiction and the thought of getting up causes me anxiety. It has worsened since I gave up daytime xanax. I have not been able to fix this with self talk. This has been at least 2 years of only even getting dressed once or twice a week. I can't handle the grocery store or other places. Even hygiene has slipped. It feels like it is agoraphobia at its worst. I do push myself out once a week for a meeting that I attend where I do find comfort. I have lost muscle from lack of use.

Nowhere did the articles state the use of medical marajuana (and not legal in my state yet) but I have wondered if that would be helpful. My house has been neglected and I feel sorry for my dogs who hang out with me in my bedroom.

I am just wondering how many others have this "dysbania" which I would guess is really a symptom of something else. Also, what has helped them. I would appreciate any input about this of others have any experience. Its something I keep secret to the outside, but those close to me worry.

While I find it impossible to stay in bed with anxiety I can relate to letting the hygiene and getting dressed slip. It definitely has a "whats the point, it isn't like anyone is going to see me since I am not leaving the house.

I just started a new medication that is a dopamine agonist and hoping that low dopamine is the cause, and this medication will pull me out of it. Do you think it is possible you have low dopamine?

I have not been able to fix this with self talk
I tired with the self talk, I tried so hard. The shear amount of effort put into self talk and the disconnect between my thoughts and my feelings, really screamed hormonal issue to me for myself. Aside from the bed thing (bed isn't a safe place for me) makes me wonder if you have something similar going on with hormones or maybe vitamin deficiencies or something else medical.

I take Celexa and am not sure if it is dopamine agonist. I have also been on anti depressants for so many years that I may just be burned out from them. Other anti depressants have cause bad side effects, such as causing high blood pressure and panic. Maybe I need an increase in the dosage. Also my friend has begun using estrogen and or progesterone and swears this has helped her so much and I can see the difference in her. She is 52 but had hysterectomy several years ago without hormone replacement. I am 59 and started menopause around 50 so I thought the worst is over-but maybe not. I guess I assumed that if your got through a couple years, you wouldn't need it.

It just feels like my bed is my only real comfort zone. Yet I feel I am missing out on so much in life. I understand the disconnect between my thoughts and feelings as you stated.

After an accident with head injuries and then pain from torn rotator cuff and many spinal problems, I was put on adderoll, narcotics, xanax, and anti depressants for more than 10 years. Adderoll was for daytime sleep disorder but not narcolepsy. The adderoll caused such weight loss over the years that my doc took me off. Because of opiod crisis, my doc took me off, and I am on low dose xanax at bedtime. I hated taking the adderoll because my body felt exhaustion but when I took the pill, I popped up and over worked myself for hours. (like false energy) Over time, it felt like it caught up with me. Since the discontinuation, I stay in bed too, and do have a lot of pain, but also know that these drugs are not good for me. I didn't have any real withdraw symptoms but it really did get worse since discontinuing.

Thanks Fadeaway, you may be right about the dopamine and vitamins, and even hormonal. I sure wish there was some magic cure here.

I’m not a drug pusher, but OMG this part of my depression got so much better when I started on the right meds.

It’s not perfect yet, but so much better than where I was.

All those people who give you tips and hints for getting out of bed? They don’t know shit and they’ve never actually had this problem. Their advice is for the birds. It’s not about making plans to do things. It’s not about self talk. They make it sound so easy. It’s almost impossible to overcome something biochemical with self talk. (That’s akin to telling your pancreas to regulate insulin regulation and expecting it to actually happen. Yeah.)

Are your meds working?

Oh, and supplementing with iron is helping. I no longer look whiter than a ghost. My sleep is much improved and I have more energy.

@brat17 Sounds like agoraphobia. It’s a tough one to beat, but it can be done. Even with depression that causes us to not want to do anything, we have to set a schedule and STICK to it. It seems daunting and it’s hard, but it does work. That’s why when people are hospitalized in psych wards, they are kept busy, having meetings, groups, arts and crafts and whatever else the hospital can think of to keep you active most of the day.

It’s all about keeping the mind going, by doing things. If you don’t have a goal, a plan or a passion, then why would you get out of bed as there is NOTHING to look forward too. There has to be a reason TO get out of bed.

Eve I guess it could be biochemical. I don't have a psych dr and rely on family dr. (we have shortage in our area and you have to be hospitalized several times to even get on the list with my insurance). I take the 20 mg of Celexa they tell me to take. I understand exactly how you feel about the well intended advice to fix it, and the reality of it not doing shit!

SheCat-it feels a bit like agoraphobia. Thats true about groups in psych wards, but another reason they have all those groups if for billing. They bill the insurance for every one the patient attends. Many patients are only there 3-4 days and go back to doing whatever they did, and say those groups didn't help them at all. But I do agree that those groups can help. I have tried to get into a 30 day residential a long time ago but insurance wouldn't have that either. I thought it would have been helpful a long time ago but I wouldn't even want to go now.

I try to keep my mind busy from my bed. I play on line scrabble, solitaire, etc because there is nothing much interesting on tv most of the time. Im also freezing cold much of the time and can't stand to get out of bed. I do get out for my group, but my husband suggests going out to dinner and stuff and I just can't bring myself to it a lot of the time. I do sometimes, but often can't wait to get back home and into bed. I feel like Im just plain nuts and there is no help for this. Im really scared to complain to my dr because they just try some other med that makes things much worse than they were and then I can't get back in for a couple weeks. Yet I feel like I will go crazy doing this.

Can you ask your GP for a full CBC, vitamins D follate, ferritin and B12 and Thyroid including free t3 (many dr.s think the free t3 is unnecessary) Progesterone, estrogen prolactin (high prolactin means low dopamine) and 17-oh progesterone lcms (test for adrenal fatigue)?

PTSD depletes a lot of those things from our body due to the toll from stress. Maybe I am projecting because of my own medical issues but I have a feeling the result of the toll PTSD has taken on your body and just depression.

Thanks Fadeaway, you are probably right. I would just love to feel like participating again. I isolate so much. I don't really feel safe in the town I live in, not necessarily physically, but even a verbal assault when going places....its a real crappy small place that way. I just don't have the energy for this. Im pretty sure there is going to be no genetic testing here. I may have to try the crap shoot again with meds. Its really discouraging.

Oh and I recommend everyone get genetic testing done as it can tell you exactly what psych meds will w...

Ditto!

I had it done. I can’t process folate so I need to supplement with methylfolate. It also helped me pick my meds (along with doctor input) so I got on the right meds quickly.

If you have the MTHFR gene mutation, you could have as low as a 6% chance of antidepressants helping you. The test is worth it, even if you have to pay the full amount out of pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back