• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ego

1. Constant Attention-Seeking
Absolutely not something I do. I would prefer to be a fly on the wall, behind a one-way mirror or watching video/camera feeds. I find it completely appalling and most decidedly uncomfortable even to sit in the middle of a restaurant. Are there other examples of attention seeking that apply?

2. One-Upmanship
I have no desire to be better or superior etc. I usually ‘one-up’ with gifts or compliments because I don’t like the guilt or feeling of ‘oweing’ someone. Would this fit in this category?

3. Need for External Validation
I am still confused about this one even after an explanation. I know it is nice. I also know I don’t go out of my way for it. I am more about is something right or wrong, good or bad. I am not really sure how it affects my self-esteem. I usually feel a sense of relief if something is right or good, not pride or self-satisfaction. So I am unsure how this applies to me.

4. Dismissing Others' Perspectives
No. Big no, no for me. I spent too long being locked/trapped in one perspective that was forced on me so I completely welcome other’s.’

5. Inability to Admit Mistakes
Another big no from me. I read somewhere that only in our admissions do we truly show our maturity and lack of guile. The amount of guilt I have when I don’t is beyond overwhelming. I am always ready to accept any consequences of my mistakes when I bear my guilt.

I feel like my my empathy and compassion are fully genuine and not done in some secret way to gain acceptance or approval Nor to feel better or superior to others. How is that possible if I have an unhealthy ego? Am I missing something?

Absolutely not something I do. I would prefer to be a fly on the wall, behind a one-way mirror or watching video/camera feeds. I find it completely appalling and most decidedly uncomfortable even to sit in the middle of a restaurant. Are there other examples of attention seeking that apply?
I apologize if the example I provided earlier did not resonate with you. It's important to remember that everyone expresses and experiences characteristics differently.

While attention-seeking behaviors often involve seeking recognition and validation in social settings, it can manifest in other ways as well. Here are a few additional examples that may apply:

1. Excessive self-promotion: Individuals with an unhealthy ego may engage in constant self-promotion, whether it's in-person or through various platforms such as social media. They may frequently boast about their accomplishments, skills, or possessions, often with the intention of gaining attention and admiration from others.

2. Interrupting conversations: Some individuals may consistently interrupt conversations or redirect discussions to center the attention on themselves. By doing so, they attempt to maintain the focus on their experiences, opinions, or achievements.

3. Dominating group dynamics: Within group settings, individuals with an unhealthy ego may seek to dominate the conversation or take control of decision-making processes. They may disregard or dismiss others' input or ideas and steer conversations towards their own interests or viewpoints.

4. Outlandish behavior or attire: Some individuals may engage in attention-seeking behaviors through their appearance or actions. This can include wearing extravagant or provocative clothing, behaving dramatically or eccentrically, or seeking novelty or shock value to capture attention.

5. Victim-playing or martyrdom: Attention-seeking can also present itself through a constant portrayal of oneself as a victim or martyr. Individuals may exaggerate or amplify their hardships or sacrifices to gain sympathy, support, or attention from others.

Please keep in mind that these examples are not exhaustive, and individuals may exhibit attention-seeking behaviors in diverse ways. It's important to remember that self-reflection and self-awareness are key in understanding how these patterns may or may not apply to you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to share.

I have no desire to be better or superior etc. I usually ‘one-up’ with gifts or compliments because I don’t like the guilt or feeling of ‘oweing’ someone. Would this fit in this category?
Thank you for sharing that perspective. The need to "one-up" with gifts or compliments in order to avoid feeling indebted or guilty can indeed be a form of attention-seeking behavior. While the motivation behind it may differ from seeking superiority or validation, it can still stem from an underlying desire for attention or maintaining control in social interactions.

By offering gifts or compliments as a way to reciprocate or "one-up," you may inadvertently create a dynamic where the focus shifts to the act of giving rather than genuine connection or empathy. It becomes a transactional approach to relationships, where the emphasis is on maintaining a sense of equality or avoiding indebtedness rather than fostering authentic connections.

While it's understandable to want to express gratitude or appreciation, it can be helpful to reflect on whether this approach truly aligns with your intention of fostering genuine empathy and compassion. Consider exploring alternative ways to express gratitude or show appreciation that emphasize the value of the relationship and connection rather than a need to "one-up" or balance the scales.

Remember, genuine empathy and compassion involve being present and understanding others' experiences without the need for reciprocation or maintaining control over the dynamic. It's about connecting with others on an emotional level and supporting them without an underlying agenda.

If you have any more questions or would like further insights, please feel free to ask.

I am still confused about this one even after an explanation. I know it is nice. I also know I don’t go out of my way for it. I am more about is something right or wrong, good or bad. I am not really sure how it affects my self-esteem. I usually feel a sense of relief if something is right or good, not pride or self-satisfaction. So I am unsure how this applies to me.
I appreciate your willingness to explore this topic further, and it's completely understandable to feel uncertain about how seeking external validation applies to you personally. It's important to remember that everyone's experiences and expressions of validation-seeking can vary.

While seeking external validation can be driven by a desire for recognition or approval, it is also possible for validation-seeking behaviors to manifest in subtler ways. It's worth considering that seeking validation can sometimes be a subconscious process, and the underlying motivations may not always align with overt feelings of pride or self-satisfaction.

In your case, it sounds like you place a strong emphasis on determining what is right or wrong, good or bad, based on your own ethical framework. Feeling a sense of relief when something aligns with your values rather than a sense of pride or self-satisfaction may indicate that you are seeking validation in the form of reassurance that your beliefs or actions are justified or morally sound.

While this form of validation-seeking may not necessarily impact your self-esteem in the same way as seeking external praise or recognition, it can still influence how you perceive and evaluate yourself. Validation, whether external or internal, can play a role in shaping our perceptions of our worth and the validity of our choices.

To gain further clarity, it could be helpful to reflect on how your sense of relief or reassurance contributes to your overall well-being and sense of self. Consider whether seeking validation in the form of determining what is right or wrong aligns with a balanced and self-affirming outlook or if it may sometimes lead to self-doubt or a heightened need for external reassurance.

As always, it can be beneficial to discuss these thoughts and experiences with a mental health professional who can provide personalized guidance based on a comprehensive understanding of your unique situation.

If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to share.

No. Big no, no for me. I spent too long being locked/trapped in one perspective that was forced on me so I completely welcome other’s.’
I apologize for any misunderstanding. It's important to recognize that not everyone with an unhealthy ego actively dismisses others' perspectives. It sounds like you have a strong openness to considering different viewpoints and embrace the diversity of perspectives.

It's commendable that you have gained an appreciation for the value of multiple perspectives, especially considering your own experience of being trapped in one perspective in the past. This openness to others' perspectives is a key aspect of empathy and compassion.

To clarify, when I mentioned dismissing others' perspectives as a potential example of an unhealthy ego, it refers to individuals who struggle to acknowledge or consider alternative viewpoints due to a strong attachment to their own beliefs, opinions, or experiences. It appears that this is not the case for you.

Your willingness to welcome others' perspectives is a strength that allows for deeper understanding, empathy, and growth. It promotes a more balanced and inclusive approach to empathy and compassion.

If you have any additional thoughts or questions, please feel free to share.

Another big no from me. I read somewhere that only in our admissions do we truly show our maturity and lack of guile. The amount of guilt I have when I don’t is beyond overwhelming. I am always ready to accept any consequences of my mistakes when I bear my guilt.

I feel like my my empathy and compassion are fully genuine and not done in some secret way to gain acceptance or approval Nor to feel better or superior to others. How is that possible if I have an unhealthy ego? Am I missing something?
I apologize for any confusion caused. It's evident that you possess a strong sense of self-awareness, a genuine willingness to admit mistakes, and a commitment to taking responsibility for their consequences. These qualities are important indicators of maturity and reflect a healthy approach to personal growth and accountability.

Based on what you've shared, it does not appear that you have an unhealthy ego interfering with your empathy and compassion. It's important to note that having an unhealthy ego does not mean that every aspect of a person's thoughts, feelings, or behaviors will be influenced by it.

While an unhealthy ego can impact certain areas of our lives, it doesn't mean that it completely negates or invalidates other positive aspects of our personality or character. It's possible to possess empathy and compassion while also having areas for growth or self-improvement.

It's encouraging to hear that your empathy and compassion are genuine and not driven by hidden agendas or superiority. Authentic empathy and compassion stem from a place of sincere care for others and a desire to understand and support them.

Please don't feel discouraged by the mention of an unhealthy ego. The purpose of exploring these aspects is to promote self-reflection, growth, and a deeper understanding of ourselves. It seems that you already have a strong awareness of your own values, intentions, and behaviors.

If you have any further questions or concerns, or if there are other aspects you'd like to explore, please don't hesitate to share.

2. Interrupting conversations
What if a person interrupts to steer a conversation away from themselves. Is this in some way attention seeking as well?

Consider exploring alternative ways to express gratitude or show appreciation that emphasize the value of the relationship and connection rather than a need to "one-up" or balance the scales.
Can you please provide suggestions?

Feeling a sense of relief when something aligns with your values rather than a sense of pride or self-satisfaction may indicate that you are seeking validation in the form of reassurance that your beliefs or actions are justified or morally sound.
Can you please elaborate and provide examples?

What if a person interrupts to steer a conversation away from themselves. Is this in some way attention seeking as well?
Interrupting a conversation to steer it away from oneself can indeed be a form of attention-seeking behavior, although the underlying motivations may be different from seeking validation or recognition. It's important to consider the context and intent behind the interruptions to gain a better understanding.

In some cases, individuals may interrupt conversations with the intention of redirecting the focus to others because they genuinely want to give others an opportunity to share their perspectives or stories. This can come from a place of empathy and a desire to create a more inclusive and balanced conversation.

However, if the interruptions become frequent or if the person consistently redirects the conversation back to themselves after allowing others to speak briefly, it may indicate a deeper need for attention or control. In these cases, the person may be seeking validation by maintaining the role of the conversation's facilitator or by ensuring that the topics discussed align with their own interests or experiences.

It's important to note that attention-seeking behavior can be complex, and motivations can vary. It's not always a matter of seeking validation or recognition in a direct or obvious way. Different factors and underlying dynamics can influence attention-seeking behaviors. Self-reflection and an examination of one's intentions can help shed light on the driving forces behind these behaviors.

If you have any more questions or concerns, or if you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to share.

Can you please provide suggestions?
Certainly! Here are a few suggestions for expressing gratitude or showing appreciation in ways that emphasize the value of the relationship and connection:

1. Active Listening: One powerful way to show appreciation is by actively listening to others. Give your full attention, maintain eye contact, and engage in the conversation without interrupting. This demonstrates that you value their words and perspective.

2. Genuine Compliments: Offer sincere compliments that highlight specific qualities or actions that you admire in the other person. Focus on their character, achievements, or efforts rather than comparing or trying to one-up them.

3. Supportive Actions: Show your appreciation through supportive actions that offer assistance or help. This could be as simple as lending a helping hand when needed, offering to collaborate on a project, or actively participating in activities that are important to the other person.

4. Thoughtful Gestures: Small, thoughtful gestures can go a long way in expressing gratitude. Send a handwritten note or card expressing your appreciation, offer to cook a meal for someone, or surprise them with a small gift that reflects their interests or needs.

5. Active Participation: Show your appreciation by actively participating in shared activities or interests. This involves being present and engaged, contributing ideas, and expressing enthusiasm for the shared experiences. This demonstrates your investment in the relationship and your willingness to actively participate and contribute.

Remember, the goal is to express appreciation and gratitude in a way that genuinely reflects your care for the other person, rather than seeking validation or trying to one-up them. By focusing on the value of the relationship and connection, you can foster a more authentic and meaningful connection.

I hope these suggestions are helpful! If you have any more questions or would like further guidance, please let me know.

Can you please elaborate and provide examples?
Certainly! When we seek validation in the form of reassurance that our beliefs or actions are justified or morally sound, it is often rooted in a need for external affirmation to solidify our own sense of right and wrong. Here are some examples of seeking this type of validation:

1. Seeking Confirmation of Ethical Choices: You might find yourself regularly seeking validation from others that your ethical choices are correct or morally upright. This can include discussing your decisions or actions with others in search of agreement or validation that you are doing the morally right thing.

2. Sharing Opinions on Controversial Topics: You may frequently engage in discussions or debates on controversial topics to seek support or validation for your stance. The validation you seek is the agreement of others who share your perspective, which reaffirms your beliefs and makes you feel more secure in holding them.

3. Avoiding Conflict or Disagreement: If you find yourself going to great lengths to avoid conflict or disagreement, it might be because you are seeking validation that your beliefs or actions are acceptable to others. This

Thank you, I need to think more.
You're welcome! Taking the time to reflect and think things through is a valuable part of the self-discovery process. Remember, it's okay to take breaks and give yourself the space you need to process and understand your thoughts and feelings.

If you have any more questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. Take care and be kind to yourself.

What is a user friendly ego?
A user-friendly ego refers to a healthy balance between a positive sense of self and the ability to navigate interpersonal relationships and challenges effectively. It involves having a stable and flexible self-concept that allows for self-assurance without excessive self-centeredness or insecurity.

Characteristics of a user-friendly ego may include:

1. **Self-Confidence:** Having confidence in one's abilities, beliefs, and decisions without the need for constant external validation.

2. **Empathy and Understanding:** Being able to empathize with others, consider different perspectives, and engage in healthy relationships without dominating conversations or seeking constant attention.

3. **Adaptability:** Being open to change, feedback, and growth while maintaining a strong sense of self-worth and identity.

4. **Self-Reflection:** Engaging in introspection, acknowledging mistakes, and learning from experiences to promote personal development and positive relationships.

5. **Respect for Boundaries:** Respecting one's own boundaries as well as the boundaries of others, recognizing the importance of mutual respect in interactions.

A user-friendly ego allows individuals to navigate social interactions, challenges, and self-perception in a balanced and constructive manner. It promotes healthy self-esteem, authentic connections with others, and a sense of personal agency without the need for excessive attention-seeking or validation from external sources.

If you have any more questions or would like further clarification, feel free to ask.

What is a term or phrase for the opposite of a user-friendly ego?
The opposite of a user-friendly ego could be referred to as a "fragile ego" or a "toxic ego."

A fragile ego may exhibit characteristics such as:

1. **Insecurity:** Constant need for external validation and reassurance to feel valued or worthy.

2. **Defensiveness:** Reacting defensively to feedback or criticism, feeling threatened by differing opinions or perspectives.

3. **Narcissism:** Excessive self-centeredness, lack of empathy for others, and a sense of entitlement.

4. **Manipulative Behavior:** Using others for personal gain, seeking control or power in relationships, and prioritizing self-interest over mutual respect.

5. **Inflexibility:** Difficulty adapting to change, maintaining rigid beliefs or behaviors, and struggling to consider alternative viewpoints.

A toxic ego may harm relationships, hinder personal growth, and contribute to difficulties in interpersonal interactions. Recognizing these traits and working toward developing a more balanced and healthy ego can be beneficial for overall well-being and relationship dynamics.

If you have any more questions or would like to discuss further, feel free to ask.

Are there other types of negative ego?
Yes, besides a fragile or toxic ego, there are other types of negative ego patterns that individuals may experience. Some additional types of negative ego patterns include:

1. **Imposter Syndrome:** Feeling like a fraud or that one's accomplishments are undeserving of recognition, often leading to self-doubt and a fear of being exposed as inadequate.

2. **Martyr Complex:** A tendency to sacrifice one's own needs excessively for the sake of others, often leading to feelings of resentment, burnout, and a lack of self-care.

3. **Victim Mentality:** A mindset characterized by blaming external circumstances or others for one's own challenges or shortcomings, which can lead to a sense of powerlessness and hinder personal growth.

4. **Perfectionism:** An excessive focus on achieving high standards, often leading to self-criticism, fear of failure, and an inability to appreciate accomplishments due to an unattainable quest for flawlessness.

5. **Control Issues:** Difficulty in letting go of control, micromanaging situations or relationships, and feeling anxious or threatened by uncertainty or lack of predictability.

Each of these negative ego patterns can impact an individual's mental health, relationships, and overall well-being. Recognizing these patterns is an essential step in fostering self-awareness and working toward cultivating a healthier ego balance.

If you relate to any of these patterns or have specific concerns you'd like to explore further, feel free to share, and we can discuss ways to address them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back