• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emdr and cptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiocht

Confident
Does anyone have any experience with treating CPTSD through EMDR? I get how it would work for discrete traumas but not sure on how it would work for more nebulous trauma. I read a Q&A with Francine Shapiro someone linked on here where she says it's possible, but I just wondered if anyone has experience of it.

Now I'm stable (ha) my therapists have discharged me to give me time to get used to trusting I can look after myself and said they will fast track me to get trauma focused therapy when I'm ready. They said I should consider the different types available. I'm intrigued by EMDR but how would it work for example with things like emotional neglect/abuse, what do you focus on? I do have some discrete trauma that would benefit from it I think. But do I need another type of trauma therapy as well for the other stuff?

When I first went into therapy I started EMDR for PTSD as I witnessed a incident on a train but once I started my psychologist realized that I also had deep rooted problems from my childhood and that he diagnosed CPTSD and we tried carrying on with the EMDR but I kept getting stuck so we moved onto to CBT instead.
I think with anything in therapy different things work for different people and maybe you should give it a try and see how you get on.Who knows it might be the best treatment for you and might help you to move forward.

This is exactly why I haven’t tried it. I don’t see how it could possibly help long term, more subtle abuse. Plus I can’t remember all the fine details of everything as I was a kid so I wouldn’t have much to say...

I prefer Brain spotting by David Grant, PhD, twice a day, twelve hours apart, with stereo headphones. CD set available on Amazon, Walmart, etc. Don't overdo. I got physical reactions from it, but at least I didn't have to recall past trauma.

I have cPTSD and do EMDR.

It's very difficult, but I've found long term effects, personally.

I can now go to grocery store, even out to dinner most times, and movie theatres.. stressed, but I can!

I'm also less paranoid unless triggered.

EMDR in my experience is difficult but doable. And once done for a while, you can get some surprising and great results :)

I have CPTSD and have done EMDR. It was difficult at times and many times in session we would have to ditch the emdr as i would dissociate . We found that doing the emdr in small manageable chunks ie bringing the memory forwwards for 6 seconds and then increasing gradually allowed me to continue. I got some really positive results and it helped me process some extremely difficult stuff. I certainly saw an improvement in my symptoms.

Yep -- I've been doing emdr for about a year now. It's horrible but when it works it is so very worth it. I've dug up alot of memories that I really could have lived without --- but the emdr makes them more tolerable. I also have a second T I work with to keep me grounded and help me cope with what I'm digging up.

Does anyone have any experience with treating CPTSD through EMDR? I get how it would work for discrete...

I've tried EMDR (8 months) . Although it helped, it was far from being enough...

I am now trying the Lifespan Integration Therapy (LIT), which seems to work better to clear past trauma related to long-term abuses of my younger years. It does have its limits, though, and unlike what I could read, LIT is not "gentle" but I admit that contributes in helping leave the past behind for good (ie. the memory rapes seem to be now processed). That is already relieving.

Thanks for all the replies :) I think I'm keen to see how I do with it. I'm certainly not in any place to do this kind of work yet, but when I get to more stable footing I think I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back