• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emotional Freedom Therapy (EFT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wotsitwifey

New Here
Sorry I haven't been around lately but my husband went on a pilot course in February for a new therapy and it has changed our lives. Emotional Freedom Therapy was devised by David Walters of helpmeovercome. David took four ex servicemen suffering with PTSD and taught them this technique. The change is utterly amazing..I have the man I married back. We got through the anniverary of my husbands traumatic event as if it was a normal day. His nightmares and flashbacks have stopped and we are getting on with a New Life!
Yesterday we recorded a DVD which will be out soon and David's book will be launched later this month.
A lot of people are sceptical about this therapy, indeed so were we! But believe me it really does work.
Well Done David you have given us both back the life that we thought we would never see :claps:

Anthony, what do you know about EFT? I know when I looked at it there was some guy pushing it that claimed he had a doctorate degree which turned out to be one from a diploma mill. So that pushed me away from it quick.

I don't know much about it at all... but I must agree, I wouldn't touch it unless I knew the person was extremely well qualified in what they where doing, and atleast had a shitload of commonsense to themselves.

Ok, some quick research, another name for an old technique, an offshoot if you like to EMDR... called Tapping.
  • http://www.tapping.com
  • http://www.healingthemind.net/html/Why_tapping_works.html
  • http://www.helpmeovercome.com

Wotsitwifey,
I am glad to know that you have "temporary" relief.
To all others, I think it is a dangerous set up mentally to think any type of therapy is going to fully make you all better.
I had Dr. Uri Bergman, from Long Island ny, preform EMDR on me, (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing), a therapy that brings out memories. It gave me horrible wicked migraines for three days. I did it only nine times. I had to stop, I just have too many memories due to years and years of torture, and knew it was not going to help me at all. (although I believe it is a Godsend for anyone going through reoccurring flashbacks, I do not have these)
This was done in the nineties, and have recently spoke to him to see if there were any new techniques out there to help. He had said no, and that emdr was not good for me, that is was not the cure-all they were looking for. That it is a tool for those who need to move forward from certain types of trauma. He also said pretty much everyone has some form of ptsd, and it is useful for those that have not endured lengthy traumatic events.
Please everyone, take new techniques with a grain of salt, and not a huge pill that will make life perfect again.
I will always and forever look into new techniques that could apply to me, I have many different levels of problems, and if a new technique could help in anyone of them I will try it, again, with a grain of salt. But I refuse to put all my hopes and wishes into anything, because in the end I will have a huge set back and become more depressed then ever.
I allow the medical world to use my stacks and stacks of medical reports, I am an open book, in hopes someday somehow a cure will emerge for others, someday way down the road.
A scientist told my brother dying of Huntington's disease, to hold on a cure was coming in two years. He live with those words, like the biggest present in the world was definitely coming his way. I had to be the broken hearted soul to tell him it was not true. He believed those words, and made him even more fearful of death. I had to work hard to make him understand the ball is in God's court, not that scientists.
He died in 96', there still isn't a cure even close to being made.

One website I went to that told of this is http://www.emofree.com/ and that's the site with the fella that seems a bit shady. His profile is different now, though. He's made a few changes to cover up what I found suspicious.

I put it down to simply marketing, and like anything, doctors will attempt to market "their" brand of therapy, some offshoot to some existant therapy that they want to try and become rich from, instead of focusing on not money, but instead the patients themselves. There are many types of therapy and techniques in the world to treat people, most of which are merely offshoots of an actual main therapy, but the facts remain that to help PTSD, the primary beneficial therapy is one that provokes the mind itself, and one where the sufferer must experience for themselves, ie. CBT, exposure therapy, mental imagery, any type of technique that actually involves the person or provokes their brain in direct relation to their trauma.

Basically, if any technique is trying to disregard the trauma, or trying to bandaid it, the long term effects have been proven over and over again with PTSD treatments already, and they failed to provide substantial long term benefit to the sufferer. CBT is the primary treatment for PTSD because of its long term effects, being it gives better long term effects for the patient than any other technique currently. Why? Because the sufferer must learn and educate themselves to why things are happening, what is going on within them, etc etc... knowing what is happening allows each person to help themselves uniquely, where no blanket treatment works effectively for PTSD... tried and proven, scientific results already state it.

I had a counselor once that was telling me that if I pray to God and ask His forgiveness for what happened to me, that it would be a step in the right direction in curing my PTSD. THAT is when I started hitting myself.

In reality I have nothing to be sorry for. I have done nothing wrong and I have no reason to apologize for what someone did to me.

Anthony, I am happy to say that I havn't it myself in sometime now. I quit accepting any responsibility that simply is not mine.

I will say that while your forum is not solely responsible for me quitting hitting myself, the encouragement I got from you guys (to quit accepting responsibility for actions not of my own making) was a big help.

Thanks guys!

(and my face thanks you as well!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back