• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Emotional toll from mass trauma can disrupt children's sense of competence

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Traumatic events, such as a terrorist attack or natural disaster, can effect children's perceptions of competence. According to a new study, children with higher levels of competence were more resilient and had fewer PTSD symptoms following a traumatic event.
hqWS4EEdhW4

Dead Link Removed

Whether it is a terrorist attack, hurricane, tornado or wildfire, a natural disaster can profoundly affect a community with little warning.

A terrorist attack is not a natural disaster dammit!

The rest of the article makes me think the conclusion should be "Children who feel they succeeded feel more competent than those who feel they failed".

IMHO, most of these so called studies are just wasted airtime. They don't show anything new or interesting, and like you outlined @Deadman, they can't even ascertain the difference between a natural disaster and manmade event. I wonder about the minds behind most of these waste of time pieces nowadays.

Like, no shit, children can be affected negatively when enduring a natural disaster or terrorism event. Any traumatic event. Competence is a nice word for, confidence and capability. I would feel a little nervous going back to a place that was hit by a terrorism event, tsunami or such. Kids are way more resilient than us adults... they actually listen to the bullshit we tell them, yet don't believe ourselves. Sheesh! :rolleyes::ninja::meh:

"Children who feel they succeeded feel more competent than those who feel they failed".

My T always said the freeze response/hopelessness is more related to the development of PTSD and we are waking up out of freeze still in the moment and still needing to respond and that recreating trauma is about trying to have successful outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back