• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Employment & PTSD v2

I’ve been invalided out of my field.

I don’t have the money to pay for retraining.

What should I do?
@Friday, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you're going through a difficult time. Let's see if we can explore some options together.

Firstly, what kind of field were you in previously? Have you explored if there are any transferable skills that you can apply to a different career or industry?

Secondly, there may be government programs or grants available to help fund your retraining. Have you looked into any of these programs or spoken to a career counselor or job center for guidance and support?

Thirdly, have you considered online courses or certifications that may be more affordable than traditional education? Some employers may also offer to cover the costs of training for their employees.

It's essential to approach this situation with a growth mindset and not lose hope. Remember that it's never too late to learn new skills and embark on a new career path. It's also essential to practice self-care during this challenging time, reach out to support networks, and explore any available resources.

Firstly, what kind of field were you in previously? Have you explored if there are any transferable skills that you can apply to a different career or industry?
I’m prior service military, rescue swimmer, disaster response with various NGOs.

I was in university on a doctoral tract but as I’m no longer able to work, I need to be able to support myself, before returning to school.

I’m prior service military, rescue swimmer, disaster response with various NGOs.

I was in university on a doctoral tract but as I’m no longer able to work, I need to be able to support myself, before returning to school.
@Friday, it sounds like you have a lot of valuable and diverse experience. That's great from a career perspective as it broadens your options significantly. Here are some potential career paths that could be worth exploring, given your background:

- Emergency management: Your experience with disaster response could make you a strong candidate for emergency management roles. This field involves coordinating and leading responses to natural disasters and other emergencies.
- Non-profit work: Given your experience with NGOs, you may find a fulfilling career in non-profit work. There are a variety of non-profit organizations out there that serve different causes, so you may be able to find one that aligns with your interests and background.
- Healthcare: Your experience as a rescue swimmer may be relevant to some healthcare roles, such as emergency medical technician or paramedic. Additionally, your background in disaster response could make you a valuable addition to healthcare organizations with emergency response capabilities.
- Corporate training: Your background as a rescue swimmer may give you expertise in safety and risk management that could translate to a role as a corporate trainer.

These are just a few potential paths to consider. It may be helpful to research these and other potential careers in more depth, speak to a career counselor, or network with professionals in industries that interest you. Remember to keep an open mind and be willing to explore different options.

Secondly, there may be government programs or grants available to help fund your retraining. Have you looked into any of these programs or spoken to a career counselor or job center for guidance and support?
Do you have any resources you can share with me to get me started?

Do you have any resources you can share with me to get me started?
@Friday, I would recommend starting with the following resources:

1. The U.S. Department of Labor's CareerOneStop website offers information on finding training programs, exploring careers and industries, and locating job openings.

2. The Veterans Affairs website provides information on education and career counseling services for veterans, including resources on transitioning to civilian life and finding employment opportunities.

3. Check to see if there are any veteran service organizations in your area that offer career services or job training programs, such as The Mission Continues, Hiring Our Heroes, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

4. The National Resource Directory offers a variety of resources, including employment assistance and training opportunities, for veterans and their families.

5. Speak with a career counselor or job center in your area. They can help assess your skills and interests and provide guidance on relevant training programs or job opportunities.

Remember that there are many resources available to support you during this time, and it's okay to ask for help. Wishing you the best of luck in your career journey.

I would like to avoid all things veteran focused, as it sends my PTSD spiraling out of control & attempting to manage that whilst changing careers is too difficult.

I would like to avoid all things veteran focused, as it sends my PTSD spiraling out of control & attempting to manage that whilst changing careers is too difficult.
@Friday, I completely understand. Here are some additional resources that may be helpful for you:

1. The American Psychological Association's PsychCareers website provides resources for psychologists and mental health professionals, including job postings, career advice, and continuing education opportunities.

2. The International Coach Federation offers information on becoming a certified coach or pursuing coach-specific training.

3. The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) offers resources on pursuing a career in HR, including job postings, professional development opportunities, and information on relevant certifications.

4. CareerOneStop's occupation profile search tool offers information on a variety of careers, including job duties, salary ranges, and education and training requirements.

5. LinkedIn Learning (formerly known as Lynda.com) offers a variety of online courses on topics like project management, marketing, and software skills that may be useful in a range of careers.

Remember, it's important to take care of yourself as you navigate this process. Don't hesitate to seek support from a mental health professional or support group if you need it. Best of luck with your career change.

Wh
These are just a few potential paths to consider. It may be helpful to research these and other potential careers in more depth, speak to a career counselor, or network with professionals in industries that interest you. Remember to keep an open mind and be willing to explore different options.
What are some other paths to consider?

What are some other paths to consider?
@Friday, there are countless career paths that may be a good fit depending on your interests, skills, and qualifications. Here are a few more options to consider:

1. Social Work - Social workers provide support and advocacy for individuals and communities in need. This field requires a great deal of empathy, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities.

2. Education - If you're passionate about helping others and have a desire to work with children or young adults, education may be a good fit. Teaching, counseling, and administrative roles within schools are all potential career paths to consider.

3. Nonprofit - Nonprofit organizations offer a variety of opportunities to make a difference in the world. Many nonprofits focus on providing social services, environmental protection, or advocacy for marginalized communities.

4. Technical Writing - Technical writers create materials such as user manuals and instructional guides for a variety of industries. This path may be a good fit if you enjoy writing and have a strong attention to detail.

5. Healthcare - If you enjoy helping others and have an interest in medical sciences, healthcare may be worth exploring. Jobs in this field range from clinical care to administrative roles.

I become very dysfegulated &/or suicidal when looking for new jobs. Even temporary / entry level positions. What can I do?

I become very dysfegulated &/or suicidal when looking for new jobs. Even temporary / entry level positions. What can I do?
@Friday, it's understandable to feel overwhelmed and distressed when looking for a new job, especially if you have a history of trauma and PTSD. Here are some strategies that may help you cope during the job search process:

1. Seek support - Consider reaching out to a mental health professional or peer support group to discuss your feelings and develop strategies for managing them.

2. Break it down - Instead of trying to tackle the entire job search at once, break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Set daily or weekly goals for yourself, such as updating your resume or applying to a certain number of positions.

3. Practice self-care - Make sure to prioritize self-care activities like exercise, getting enough sleep, and engaging in activities that bring you joy.

4. Consider temporary work - Temporary work or gig work may be a good option if you're feeling overwhelmed by the idea of committing to a long-term position. Freelance work or contract work may offer more flexibility and less pressure.

5. Work with a career coach - Consider working with a career coach or counselor who can offer guidance and support as you navigate the job search process.

Remember that it's important to take care of yourself during this time. Don't hesitate to seek help if you need it, and be kind and patient with yourself as you work through these difficult feelings.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back