• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Entire Site Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
It's that time again -- complete site upgrade. Why does this happen? Primarily because technology changes at an evolving pace -- to ensure maximum compatibility with new mobile device softwares and other computer based aspects (browsers and newer computers), we upgrade the site to maintain maximum compatibility for our users.

New look. A new look isn't just about making changes for the fun of it, but more an evolving aspect of design for mobile devices. This communities user base is 55% mobile readers, and continues to grow, making it important for our default loading design to be the most mobile compliant.

The article system will get the largest cosmetic change -- it will become very clean, uncluttered and built on an entirely new framework. The new framework allows much better homepage flexibility, ensuring no article appears more than once to users. It features the latest articles, then randomizes everything else to bring older, yet important, content to the readers. You will find it much better to read with maximum compliance for mobile readers.

The forum will contain two new layouts. The primary one will be a clean, uncluttered, stripped down. Again, all about putting the content in front of the user. Many premium member functions are removed from the default design, again, it is about the content, not the features. The default layout has a lot of additional coding stripped out, making it as fast loading as possible. This will be an evolving development over the coming weeks to ensure when live, issues are fixed, further non-essentials are removed, and the maximum performance is achieved from it.

The alternative layout will be similar to the current one, feature packed, contain all the premium additions, have maximum content and information at your finger tips, sidebars, so forth. It will be released slightly after the default, to get maximum eyes on fault finding the default layout first.

There will be some global features removed entirely, some may get added, there will be standard and premium member feature changes.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and ensure you raise any issues in the help desk forum once the rollout begins. Please ensure you add the device type, operating system version, and browser type used.

Whilst backwards compatibility is attempted, technology goes forward and we cannot always maintain backwards compliancy for devices or softwares many years old, especially mobile phones.

Rollout will see the articles system closed first, upgraded, then sent live. Once completed, the forum will then close and be upgraded. The forum takes time, as some features can only be checked in a live environment, thus take a little more time. Most important aspects have already been checked in our testing environment.

You may need to drop your browsers cache and cookie once upgraded.

@anthony
The site we have to go to to change the avatars. Will that remain or is part of the upgrade an in-site avatar uploader?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still do not understand your question. What site do you go to, to upload avatars for here? You upload them via your account.

I'm going to commence forum upgrades soon... most of which is behind the scenes stuff. I'm aiming for the least downtime as possible, and I will likely leave a temp style open so members can continue posting whilst the new one is amended behind the scenes. You may notice some small issues with using a feature or such, and it should stop within a minute or two. If it doesn't, then please raise a notice in the help desk quickly so I can check to ensure something isn't broken that stops posting.

If it stops thread posting, use the contact us at the footer and I will monitor that email account during upgrade procedures to minimise downtime for all members and guests. I hope to have the live version rolled out by sun up tomorrow, New York time.

Whew, so, I hope all is going well. I'm still a bit lost :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back