1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Er visit

Discussion in 'Medical' started by whiteraven, Jan 15, 2018.

1. whiteraven

whiteraven Well-Known Member

So, I ended up in the ER end of last week because I was having this weird pain - technically in my chest, I guess - just beneath my collar bone, in my left arm, and in my jaw. It was intermittent and I've had the chest pain before, but never associated with the others. I don't have any cardiac issues - I've had lots of testing and I'm fine.

But at the ER I was very anxious, not because of the pain but because of where I was. And after they decided I was fine (or not having a heart attack, anyway) and they suggested I be transferred to a local hospital and spend the night. I didn't want to and, since the doctor didn't insist (and, in fact, said "whatever you decide"), I opted to go home.

They wanted me to sign out against medical advice. And at that point, I started crying and couldn't stop. I was also extremely anxious, almost panicky, and all I wanted to do was run out of there. I can't figure out if it was because I felt like the doctor had not been completely honest with me about leaving - and I hate being lied to or having information withheld from me - or if it has to do with all the many issues I've had with medical personnel.

I have no trust in the medical establishment. I've been prescribed the wrong meds, doses that were too high, have been yelled at and diagnosed with the wrong conditions/diseases, have had to figure out lots of stuff on my own, been completely neglected for years in some cases.

This is so hard. That lack of trust is extended to almost everyone at this point, but it started with a betrayal by a psychiatrist.

I need someone I can trust, who is around. I do mostly trust my therapist, but even he was on his way out of the country when this came up.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Neverthesame

Neverthesame A Mind The Dead Have Ravaged Premium Member Donated

Glad you don't have a heart problem. Just the thought of that is scary.

This is standard for what you described. It's a malpractice insurance thing. So the hospital staff can't be sued if you developed something worse after you leave.

I can see why this could look shady, but it's not.

He said you could could go home because you were not in any apparent danger, or worsening.
    The reason you had sign out against advice is because the doctor advised you to stay overnight for observation.
    But that's all it was, just advice. You chose to leave. So you have to fill out that form.

That's all. The doctor didn’t lie to you.

After what you say you've gone through by medical professionals, it's totally understandable why that freaked you out.

I hope this helps ease a little bit of your anxiety about this experience.

mumstheword likes this.
  4. Sideways

Sideways I'm a VIP Premium Member

A couple of weeks ago I was immobile with migraine-gone-demonic with a drip in my arm on an ED bed. My friends called an ambulance when I started vomiting everywhere and couldn’t walk.

There was a moment where I heard a nurse say to someone (presumably a doctor?) “And there’s a migraine in bed 4” (in a distinctly “how pathetic” tone) that my flight instinct kicked in. Panic, they aren’t helping, they can’t be trusted, must get out of here - the whole gamut of flight symptoms. I was ready to pull out the drip and crawl out of there.

My friend kept me where I was and ultimately they did send down a neurologist who actually provided some medical treatment. But the experience was awful. And yeah, it makes you want to avoid anyone other than those you know and absolutely trust. Be gentle with yourself, glad you’re feeling better.

Ronin likes this.
  5. whiteraven

Ugh. That's terrible. I so understand, though. This kind of thing has happened multiple times to me.

Thanks for getting it. I don't "absolutely trust" anybody. That's a huge part of my problem right now. And why I feel so alone so much of the time.

I was off of work today and am off tomorrow. I'm mainly just hanging out at home with my cats. I'm ok if I stay in and away from everybody. :-(

Ragdoll Circus likes this.
  6. She Cat

She Cat Policy Enforcement Banned Premium Member Sponsor $100+

f*ck ‘em. Better safe than sorry......... don’t feel bad about this...

Ronin, Ragdoll Circus and whiteraven like this.
  7. whiteraven

Thank you @She Cat. I really need to take on a more "f*ck it" attitude. Would make getting through the day a lot easier!

She Cat, Ronin and Ragdoll Circus like this.