• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Exciting or Frightening? Love of Extreme Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
I used to be into loads of different extreme sports. I still am to a degree but I dont get the fun out of them I used to. It varies massively day to day but I often cant tell the difference between frightened or excited and consequently what used to excite me now freaks me out. Will I ever get my nerve back? Its really frustrating and holding me back. I dont want to give in but as my level in the sports increases I'm at more and more danger so I back off all the time. If I've had a bad night with nightmares etc then my threshold is much less.

It has got better as going to gym used to trigger the same feelings. Its adrenaline overload but it my head doesn't seem to know what's going on, if its fun or a threat.

Claire, I'm an adrinalyn (sorry) junkie too but I've noticed the older I get the more unnerved I get over things I never thought twice about not doing in the past. I think it's just natural. You should be worried if you were pushing the envelope. My 2 cents.

Claire,

I use to be a adrenaline junkie.. As with aging I am lucky to have gotten over it.

I am of the age or the old saying of "If you fall off a horse you have to get back on." To get over your fear... Thats all well and good, but not necessarily realistic.
Using good judgement is better.. I do ride horses. I have been thrown, I did get back on. However, age seems to have still changed some of that philosophy.
It takes time you will figure it out... hugs to you... our thoughts are with you... keep talking here.. it will help you to figure things out maybe!

I tell my daughter...list the pros, list the cons see what list is longer and evaluate it !!!

D (wildcritter)

Me too Claire, I always used to love extreme sports and taking risks in general. One thing I used to love doing was riding my motorbike down this ravine close to my home, at nearly a 90 degree angle. The thought of possibly crashing and burning was really exciting for some reason... good thing for me I am a pretty good biker. I don't do that stuff anymore, partially because I'm physically not able to, and partially because similarly to what you say, it's not exciting anymore.

I was told, in my case anyways, that's it's a form of suicidal ideation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back