• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Facing a major trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

batgirl

MyPTSD Pro
My uncle has been told he has to go to a military base a few hundred miles from here, as part of his job. It's just for a couple of days. Right now though, he and I are alone, and he won't leave me by myself, so I have to go with him. Anything military *can* be a trigger for me, although it's a bit confusing, because I've had some incidents with the military where I didn't get upset, and others where I did. It's kind of unpredictable. In any event, I don't have any choice in the matter, I have to go with my uncle. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to handle triggers or how I can make it easier on myself? I don't want to get totally freaked out. Thanks.

Just remember the positive self talk. Go through that.

tuogh call

I hope you find a way to get thru this new thig BATGIRL ,,,, some times i find it very hard to deal with somthing ,,, , But I have always had to face them head on ,,,, that realysucks and may bring up fears ,,, but once I got thru them I came out a bit stronger ,,, I hope you fair well
Best wishes we will pray for you,,,, Beatle

Thanks to you both. Actually I'm feeling better about going now. Not as nervous. I started drawing again tonight, I haven't been drawing for a couple of weeks, but drawing always makes me feel better. So I figure I'll just draw whatever I see on the base. Tanks, soldiers, whatever... I'll spend my time drawing stuff... that calms me.

"Anything military *can* be a trigger for me, although it's a bit confusing, because I've had some incidents with the military where I didn't get upset, and others where I did. It's kind of unpredictable."

That reminds me of the last time I went to the Vet Center counselor... he showed a film on military PTSD to my wife to educate her about PTSD. I was there also. After the show, the counselor noted that I didn't freak out, turn away or cry hysterically like he said some of the other Vets who watched the same show did. This video showed mild clips of the Vietnam and Iraq environment, the people interviewed about their symptoms, and talked about how great the VA is at helping all the Vets. Although I don't like these 'reminders' of the Iraq War and I try to avoid that sht when I can, I'm not going to freak out seeing a troop in Iraq carrying a gun on TV.

When there was a really bad blizzard here a few weeks back, my cousin and I got stranded on the highway and an armoured personnel carrier from the base had to come and pick us up. I was fine riding in it. I've also been fine lately seeing my cousin, who is an MP, and my uncle, who is also military, in their uniforms. But then I saw a short clip of Afghanistan on TV and fainted. So I never know when I'm going to get triggered, or by what... it's so stupid.

I'm glad to know at least that I'm not the only one with 'random' triggers though. Thanks for your response, it makes me feel a little better.

Wowzers Evie, sounds like you handling it pretty well. Sometimes we don't think so though. Good luck, not much I can add.

Hello Evie, sounds pretty brave to me. Drawing is an excellent idea. Loads of good stuff there I imagine. Do you paint as well? Maybe you could have a project. Maybe at some point you could do something that you need to go back to that base or another more regularly to complete?

The other suggestion is, do you have somewhere safe for you there? Somewhere you can go while you're there that you and your uncle plan in advance. A safe place for you. Sometimes if you have a back up plan then it takes the pressure off the situation and you may not even need it. Having it planned is enough.

The unpredicatability is something that I get with my triggers too. I find allowing myself the possibility of failing is enough to boost my confidence and I end up doing the challenge after all! So, go for it! I want to see the pictures!

Thanks Claire and Terry. I'm already back from my trip. I'm not in the best state of mind at the moment, but that's for a totally different reason. The trip went well, I was only anxious being at the base the first night. After that I was no more anxious really than I am at home. I was surprised at how well I did actually.

Claire, sorry, I didn't read your response until I got back, but I appreciate it. The safe space is a good idea to keep in mind for my next trip. The art project is a good idea too. I am trained as a comic book artist, and I have done some work on comics created by others, illustrating and inking, when I was still in highschool. I haven't done much work lately though or created my own comics yet as I've basically been sick with PTSD since and it's changed what I draw. I never did learn to paint, and I'm not a colourist, but I'm sure I could learn. I did several drawings while at the base but I'm not really comfortable sharing them right now. I have a hard time with sharing any of my artwork anymore. I shared some of my older work (pre PTSD) in Nam's art thread a couple of weeks back, so you can check that out if you're interested. I appreciate your interest though, and if I do feel like sharing more art later on I will definitely let you know.

Well done

Hello Evie, well done, thats really good to hear you got on ok at the base. I was wondering if you were there already. No worries about sharing, that's fine. I'm a designer which is why I'm interested, I understand the ups and downs in creativity, content and output etc. I will check out the thread you mention if I can find it. People say art/drawing is theraputic but I'm not sure it always has the same effect when that's your profession. Its harder to draw just for the sake of it and not judge your work afterwards.

Anyway well done, you've done brilliantly.

Thanks Claire. Oh wow you're a designer? That's so cool What kind, if you don't mind me asking?

People say art/drawing is theraputic but I'm not sure it always has the same effect when that's your profession. Its harder to draw just for the sake of it and not judge your work afterwards.

That is SO true!! I've never heard it put that way before, thanks so much. I drew some images to accompany my trauma mental imagery exercise, and I have scrutinized them to death, thinking they're not good enough artistically. I draw incessantly, but for therapy I usually do collages, not caring about the outcome.

Hello, I'm a graphic designer. All my work is design for print rather than web. It means logos, brochures, ad campaigns that kind of thing.

Collages is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I've been thinking about doing a pottery course or woodwork. Something related but not so close. I think I get spells of increased creativity as well as times when its decreased. Maybe a bit like when you hear musicians writing their best ever album just after breaking up with the love of their life! I've felt increased creativity recently and believe me its a good feeling! at other times I wish I had a job putting tops on tubes of toothpaste like Charlie Bucket's dad in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back