• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Family Traditions - Adopting a Child With PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

masc

New Here
Well, it certainly seems that way. We're working on adopting a child that suffers from PTSD. I was abused as a child and suffer as well; it's been interesting introspecting and seeing the potential cause and effect thing happening.

Which makes me wonder about my dad. Adopted at an age where he knew what was going on, former alcoholic, and not one to discuss diagnoses.
"I'm fine son."
"Uh, dad, you're in the hospital and they don't expect you to leave through the front door. Define 'fine'." :)

Reading posts, seeing parts of myself here and there. Does answer some questions.

masc

Welcome to the forum Masc, and look forward to chatting more with you. So you have PTSD and you are about to adopt a child with PTSD? How do you know the child has PTSD may I ask?

masc,
welcome to the forum. Hoping that this forum will help you and your family.
All the family sufferers right along side of you PTSD sufferers. I'm the spouse of a PTSD sufferer. We wish you & yours the best. I think you will get a lot from this forum, but the rest of us may learn something from you as well.

good luck & hugs to you & your family

D (wildcritter)

Welcome to the forum Masc, and look forward to chatting more with you. So you have PTSD and you are about to adopt a child with PTSD? How do you know the child has PTSD may I ask?

Well, the humor is in asking "How do I know *I* have PTSD?"

Our child-to-be is older and has been in the system for a while. That includes psych evals, baggage from lots of moves, etc. Because of my background it was suggested I speak to a therapist to see how my childhood might affect parenting. Thus I found out about PTSD through learning about our child.

Mixed blessings; someone else's pathetic behavior lets me empathize with a child born long afterwards. I've spent most of the Christmas holidays meandering inside my head and seeing instigators behind habitual behavior. Indirectly it has cost me jobs, relationships, family.

Yet, with a faith in God it's neat to see the timing and process. My wife and I have been married for several years and she's always wanted to be a mom. About half a year ago my brain clicked and it was then alright to have kids. We wanted to adopt, found a child we fell in love with on a national registry who I seem crafted to parent. Not only do I have very fresh healing experiences to share but our child is less than an hour away!

You may rightly assume I fear being able to be a good father. I have to choose to love when there are no feelings. I have to make time for others when I really want it for myself. But having to unknowingly cope with PTSD has advantages. I can't stand things being "in process" so the pre-adoption tasks that can take weeks get done in a day. Sometimes the world *is* black and white and our path is the right thing to do. Since the day we started talking about a child we've not had one hour of doubt about the rightness.

Long answer to a reasonable question.

masc

I must say masc, goodluck and best of wishes for the adoption. I love kids, absolutely adore them actually. Sure, they can be at either end of the scale at any time of the day depending on what they feel, but they certainly rock my world to say the least. Good to see someone helping others in need. Well done.

Welcome Masc. I'm glad you've found us. There are several people on this forum that has more than one family member suffering from PTSD. I hope the very best for you, your family, and child during the adoption process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back