• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fatigued from idea of making new friends. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phi

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

How have you "managed" it or changed it (etc)?

I've moved cities quite a lot growing up, I lived and was schooled in 4 countries and had 6 schools and 2 universities.

Because of this there was a lot of "always the new kid" time happening - being the new kid, developing connections, having to move on, trying to keep connections that don't last, start again.
I found that almost always the reason (as far as I'm aware) that the friendship/connections didn't last when I'd moved away was that it's so much easier to maintain a relationship with someone that you see in person regularly and have big/small interactions with, than with someone who you need to send emails to/facetime - it's almost like the extra effort is too much in comparison to everyone else that's still there around you and you can see in person - a situation of out of sight out of mind.

I've been in the same location now for 5 years and have made fleeting friendship and aquiantances, but I can't seem to dredge up the emotions in me to put great effort into keeping up regular contact to deepen the relationship, or to dredge up the energy/desire to try to enter new friendships from people that I meet. I don't know if I'm trying to be subconsciously self-protective, or have slid into seeing people as just transient now. I would love to have the deep connections that you hear about or see online (etc), but at the moment I just feel largely unmoored from everyone.

Because this is not exactly the type of topic that you would enter into at a dinner party or find someone easily who quite understands or has been through something similar, then I don't know whether this is something that others have felt before, or whether it is something that I have developed by myself alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because this is not exactly the type of topic that you would enter into at a dinner party or find someone easily who quite understands or has been through something similar, then I don't know whether this is something that others have felt before, or whether it is something that I have developed by myself alone.

until i was 23, my average stay in a single place was around 6 months. i was on my way to someplace else when i moved to my current location in 1977, so it took me a while to realize i wasn't moving again any time soon. after 45 years, i'm still a bit insecure with the idea of permanence. staying in one place has been even harder than forming those envied bonds of folks who have known each other since pre-school. accepting the notion that i can't rewrite my past to keep up with other children i never got a chance to know is easier than putting limits on my future.

i have discovered along the way that i am not as alone with this phenom as it feels when i isolate because of that early conditioning. you might be surprised at what happens when you let yourself bring up the subject during dinner parties, etc.

I call them ghosts. People I have known and cared about who disappeared due to moves, and who nobody else that I currently know knows. I remember them, but no one else does. They were important to me, but I wasn’t important enough for them; when you move, your old friends move on quickly and forget you. I knew them, but no one else knew them too. Memories that I have that no one around me shares. Ghosts.

As I grew older, I discovered that making new friends became more difficult, because people already have lives, families, and friends and more to-do’s on their schedules than they can currently handle. My efforts at developing a deeper relationship mean nothing in that context. All their friend spots are filled. The “best” I can become is someone they might make time for occasionally, when it suits them, and usually when I initiate it.

I would like to believe that if I met someone who actually wanted a friend and we were compatible, that my desire for connection would kick in despite my past experiences. But the people I meet already have all the friends they need.

Because this is not exactly the type of topic that you would enter into at a dinner party or find someone easily who quite understands or has been through something similar, then I don't know whether this is something that others have felt before, or whether it is something that I have developed by myself alone
I 100% understand how you feel. I’m in my early 30’s and as part of my therapy process, I sat down with a parent to help me count childhood moves to understand the impact they had on me. By 18, I had moved 13 times - from 18 until now I’ve moved 17 times, for a total of 30 moves. I really didn’t think it was that many and it kind of blew my mind. That being said, I have struggled to develop and maintain friendships. I’ve also had a hard time making meaningful friendships in new places. I have had some success using technology/apps to meet others looking for friends, so that may be something to look into. It can be a little awkward, but you aren’t as alone in this feeling as you may believe.

I wasn't ready for a close friendship for a long time after my trauma. Especially after losing people it can be hard. Always take care of yourself. I have found on my journey of self care and of course loving those around me, the right people fall into place at the right time

I was very isolated for a long time and had no friends but I joined a mental health group and we meet up, go for walks and coffee and talk, it's very good for me. I takes time to build relationships and trust but it's very worthwhile. I believe you get out of life what you put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back