1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of authorities, sirens, vans...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Bibine, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Bibine

Bibine Member

There must be a more ancient origin to this, but I have very big fear of the authorities. In 2011 I learned that my mom, aunt and grandmom were in a concentration camp, and I am aware that since childhood, even though nobody talked about this, I had images, and irrational fear of police, soldiers, authorities' violence, administrative violence, etc.

In 2011, I got arrested for wearing a funny t-shirt, the wrong place, the wrong date, together with some friends. It was surreal (no, not in the USA). They kept us for 6 or 7 hours in a little cell, deprived of all our personal stuff and our dignity. None of us had a record or actually done something. I was a respectable teacher and parent and would never have thought this could happen to me, totally out of the blue: talking with a friend, I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, and they cuffed me. For years I was afraid of sirens, vans, uniforms.

Then lately I went through an immigration procedure. Authorities came to check our status, and went into our most private intimacy, in all kinds of ways: home visits, auditions with dozens of very personal questions.. One of the people who did this was very abusive and intimidating, when they came to our home but also later, on the phone: shouting at us, yelling that they didn't believe us, that they said "NO" to our file.

Meanwhile, everything is ok: our file got cleared, we have our papers, we have our freedom, because all the inquiries were positive, and we have not done anything wrong, not in this country or in any other.

But here I am. When I see a van with officers, and they make a sudden move like the other night, I get an adrenaline shot. I am so afraid. Yes, of those guys I don't even dare name. Those guys who yelled at us, who threatened to imprison and send away my partner. Those guys who came into or very private life and judged us.

They scare me. The abuse, in my family we have seen what it can lead to. They follow orders, and then they go a bit further. In our immigration procedure we suffered a lot, also of administrative harrassment, and falsification of the facts that were in the file, in order to refuse us.
    I know my trauma is intergenerational, and renewed. I get all shaky. I have bad dreams about these authorities. I always have to watch what is going on whenever I hear sirens. I feel like somebody can come and accuse me of something, even though I have done nothing wrong.

I am not paranoid, but I know how these horrors could make somebody paranoid.

Right now I am doing EFT, and I see a therapist who does EMDR.

I wonder, because I felt that this wound was opened up recently, if there is something else I can do. I am seeing my therapist again in three days, and I can feel the EFT really helped me. I did EFT for vets, because in a way I have been in a position of helping, and I got violated. It is so unfair.

Am I the only one with irrational fear of police, city authorities, customs, this kind of "services"?

EveHarrington and Ronin like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Ronin

Ronin Dark Wings Premium Member

Hi there. :)

Not sure I would label it irrational if you have a lifetime of trauma history to back it up, sounds a rather rational reaction to me.

EveHarrington, Sietz and Bibine like this.
  4. Bibine

Bibine Member

Thank you so much. It does make sense, doesn't it? I had real trauma: 'out of the blue' arrest, and later intimidation, lies, harrassment. Plus the family history. And still, I think there is something else beneath it: in my childhood, I got the message from my parents that at any time, somebody could come up and do with me what they please. And authorities are part of that.

EveHarrington and Ronin like this.
  5. Vee

Vee Active Member

Yes, I would also call it "rational" and justifiable. Trauma can be inter-generational. It's been seen with Holocaust survivors and their families, descendants of the "boat people" who fled Vietnam, Latin Americans who've migrated north using the "Beast", Mexican American children who've had parents deported by ICE and so on. And you're right: the message certain things in this world are not safe, gets passed from those that you look up to, like your parents or grandparents.

6. theMick

theMick New Member

I completely understand. I was falsely convicted of a crime when I was 14 and became stuck in the revolving door of the criminal justice system. I suffered severe abuse as a juvenile that developed into a Panic Disorder. I am now hyper vigilant in public and have experienced panic attacks at the sound of rattling keys, slamming doors, sirens, etc. It's very rational to respond to reminders of traumas.

Sietz likes this.
  7. Sietz

Sietz I'm a VIP

I witnessed a lot of police violence. I have a lot of fears like these, of authority figures and sirens.
    I live next to a hospital, so you can imagine my daily panic :confused:

Ronin likes this.
  8. theMick

theMick New Member

I currently reside in downtown Baltimore City, or Body-more. I get that. I struggle with reconciling the fact that I have committed crimes I'm guilty of, so therefore I "deserve" the assaults. Victims guilt?

Sietz likes this.
  9. cactus_jack

cactus_jack I'm a VIP

You concern is valid. Your fear is justified.
    Me, I don't fear them. I just despise the filthy nazis.

Sietz likes this.