• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

fear of losing home

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreciousChild

MyPTSD Pro
I haven't felt this dysregulated in a while. I'm feeling overwhelmed with the lockdown, and I'm continuing to work which has been stressful. Also, my landlord keeps "forgetting" to cash my rent checks. It makes me think that he's trying to get rid of me. Maybe he'll claim that I was irresponsible. I had a traumatic experience as a kid when our family was evicted. But so long as I keep trying to pay the rent, he can't kick me out, right? I haven't done anything that would warrant eviction. My son and I don't fight, we keep our apartment clean, we're good citizens so far as I'm aware. But I'm so triggered. I feel like I'm going to lose my home. I guess I want to hear from people that my fears are unrealistic. My home can't just be yanked away from me for no reason, right?

But so long as I keep trying to pay the rent, he can't kick me out, right?
Correct. Depending on where you live, your landlord might not be able to evict you at all during the pandemic. They would certainly have to give you plenty of notice, and if you're paying on time, there's no logical reason they'd kick you out for no reason.

Thanks @somerandomguy. That's the kind of reality check I'm looking for. But they do have a reason. I'm paying below market, and I feel that they are setting me up to find a reason to evict me so that they can make a lot more on the apartment. The area I'm in now sky-rocketed.

Thanks @somerandomguy. That's the kind of reality check I'm looking for. But they do have a reason. I'm paying below market, and I feel that they are setting me up to find a reason to evict me so that they can make a lot more on the apartment. The area I'm in now sky-rocketed.

So, I suspect all of this is just really overwhelming - I have the same worries and really no reason for them. How do you pay? Do you drop your check off or mail it? If you're super worried that they might try to claim you didn't pay, you could get them to sign something on receipt or send it registered mail. That might p*ss them off, though, so I'd only do that if you are really suspicious of their motives.

Worst case scenario... all your fears are true. They’re going to try and claim you didn’t pay, and serve you with an eviction notice. >>> What do you do? Show the courts your proof that you DID pay. No eviction. You don’t lose your home.

Best case scenario... your landlord has temporarilly suspended rent payments, in order to help people, out... and they’re simply being held back until the shelter in place orders are done.

Most likely scenario? Somewhere in between.

But even in the worst case scenario? You’re fine.

We had nowhere to live for years and it's horrible to feel unsafe. I think it helped me in the end because I stopped insisting I feel safe. We got forced out of the last two places we lived and both were long term. Through no fault of our own. Now we own a house but we can't afford it, oh well. I don't worry anymore. As for you, don't worry. It takes a long long time for them to get anyone out of anywhere especially if they are good tenants and I'm sure you are.

After I gave my landlord the check for two months rent, I emailed a picture of it to him and asked him to confirm that he got it. I think that would serve as proof that I've been trying to pay?
Best case scenario... your landlord has temporarilly suspended rent payments, in order to help people, out... and they’re simply being held back until the shelter in place orders are done.
@Friday, that's what I thought too at first, which is why it's already the end of the month, and I haven't followed up on it. But a neighbor told me he cashed her rent check, so I realized that it wasn't that he had some policy about the pandemic.

Thanks everyone. It's helpful to think that it takes a long time to force anyone out.

My landlord cashed my check for two months. It's the first time something like that has happened in about a decade, so I'm probably just projecting my stuff onto the situation.

Consult an attorney. How long hasn’t he cashed your rent checks? Many landlords in nyc will often not cash the rent checks and an attorney would tell you to mail landlord a letter saying you have put a stop hold on the checks you sent him and have deposited the monies for him in a bank account. This is an old trick landlords use to get tenants out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back