Fear of the supernatural

ziter

MyPTSD Pro
I'm learning to get comfortable with my fear, in a way. To handle it.
One thing I've recently discovered is that I tend to feel fear when something inexplicable happens. Today I lost a pen, couldn't for the life of me not find it, and I humorously discussed it with a friend, who suggested 'evil forces' at play. That triggered fear. Like a childish fear of the unknown, of something supernatural going on. I find that looking for scientific explanations calms my nerves a bit. Lol. In this case, that 'quantum tunelling' could have happened (very unlikely, but hey, it's an explanation 😅). I may have a hyperactive amygdala cuz of PTSD.

Am I the only one?

ziter

MyPTSD Pro
I called a hotline for help, they suggested gentle exposure. To try playing with the thought that maybe something supernatural *is* at play? What if that was the case, would that be dangerous? Helpful.

arfie

MyPTSD Pro
personally, i am intrigued by the currently inexplicable. i say "currently" because i am pretty convinced everything has a logical explanation that will present itself eventually. my favorite explanation for the lack of explanation is that there is a whole heap science has yet to notice, much less find words and research for. "supernatural" is a scientific word for, "jigged if i know." if ya can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

dunno if playing with the notion that something supernatural is at play is as dangerous as playing with science. madame curie is far from the only scientist in history who paid a dear and personal price for their scientific research. how could she have known radium causes cancer? still, i am grateful for the courage and fortitude by which she gave us x-rays.

ziter

MyPTSD Pro
Well, my scientific mind ardently denies everything supernatural. But that doesn't help my child part who is scared of ghosts. So I need to play around with the notion that it "could be". To expose myself to the discomfort. Make 'em friendly, if that makes sense. Helps me in the long run.
This has also the benefit of making me less of an argumentative critic towards people who actually believe in ghosts. More freedom.