• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling alone while surrounded by people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dergrosse

Not Active
Hi all, I've been feeling really alone lately. I' fortunate that I have quite a few "friends" but I can' actually talk to them about what' going on. I either haven't known them long enough, don't trust them, or they just don' get it. It's really frustrating feeling like I have nobody to talk to about what's going on with me.

I love these forums, and they remind me that I'm not alone in my struggles. They give me hope that I can get through it, but sometimes I just want/need a face to face with someone that gets it (My T doesn't count). How do you all cope with being alone in dealing with PTSD. I've hought about joining a group, but they are all for vets...

Possibly your T has some suggestions of groups that are not just for vets. Other than that, before I was blessed to find this place, I had many many years of not having and real people in my life who understood about PTSD, but I did utilize my freinds for social needs.. if nothing else it got my mind off of things for awhile. And sometimes just in general conversation, things would be said that I got to have ah ha moments, tho they didn't know it...

It can be lonely. This is a lonely journey sometimes... Hope you find a group that can meet your needs... we are here for you in the meantime.

It is lonely, no doubt about it. I tried the support group scene multiple times, but the folks who wear and use artificial fragrances of various kinds make that a very unhealthy space for me, so that's a no go. It's offered by the local sexual/domestic abuse shelter where free counseling is also an option, but they also use lots of artificial fragrances within the building, so my seeking them out for help of any kind has lessened greatly as of late. If I could find one that only meets outdoors, I could probably hang with that.

A couple of my healer friends are good listeners and confidants, and several are also survivors of many different traumas, but they're so busy with their practices and their own self-care/families/traveling/etc. that it's few and far between when we get to actually hang out to just talk. We do spend time together helping each other out and that affords me a little discussion time here and there.

Family sort of gets it, but not really, and most of them are struggling in the pits of their own hellish circumstances, so finding support there is a dream I'll never achieve, it seems....and the hubby is weighed down with plenty of other stressors, so I try not to unload too much on him.

Once in a while I'll cross paths with a stranger who just "clicks" with my energies and we can have the best talks about things that most likely aren't specifically trauma related, but the experiences totally enrich my life and restores my faith in humanity.

I've tried some other groups, too, that are geared around specific interests, but most of them meet in spaces that are heavily food and beverage related, and always the stuff I no longer ingest for the health and ethics of it, so there again, it's not a healthy environment for my particular biology, nor my head space.

LMAO.....I kind of doubt if I'll ever find a scent-free, whole food plant-based vegan, alcohol, and caffeine free space to gather and share stories and support...especially in this neck of the woods...but stranger things have happened, I suppose, and I'm forever the optimist...most days.

Meanwhile, I talk to myself and a whole lot of trees, plants, and wild animals within my days. They're great listeners, don't talk back, and by expressing it all verbally sometimes, regardless of to whom or what, it gives me a chance to clear my heart space enough to get a little clarity. It feels pretty weird as I used to be quite the social butterfly.

Possibly your T has some suggestions of groups that are not just for vets. Other than that, before I was...

I talked to my T about it and she could only find ones for vets as well. I had one psychiatrist tell me to join a schizophrenic group (I have psychotic episodes) I really didn't think that would be a good fit for me.

I don't know, I think I'm just getting really irritated with myself on top of it. For years I said "I got through my childhood alone I can get through anything by myself" now all that time relying on myself to get through it is catching up.

I'm fairly open about having ptsd from child abuse. I just don't go into the details about it. So it's not as if I'm completely alone in this. I just want a real life conversation that doesn't end in "I wish there was something I could do for you" or a "that sucks" response. I want that conversation that ends in "that' how I deal with it"... sorry I feel like I'm rambling now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back