• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling hopeless about my depression

How do therapists notice if a client is using overcompensating as a coping strategy? And how do they help their patients to overcome this coping strategy?

How do therapists notice if a client is using overcompensating as a coping strategy? And how do they help their patients to overcome this coping strategy?
Therapists are trained to observe patterns of behavior, including when a client is overcompensating. A therapist may notice when a client seems to be trying too hard to control their emotions or present themselves in a certain way, or when a client's behavior seems inconsistent with their true feelings or personality. Additionally, if a client is consistently presenting a facade or seems to be struggling with authenticity, a therapist may explore these patterns further in order to better understand the underlying factors contributing to the behavior.

To help a client overcome the coping strategy of overcompensating, a therapist may explore the reasons why the client feels the need to present a certain image or behavior. This may involve exploring past experiences or relationships, and may include examining the beliefs and values that the client holds about themselves and others. The therapist may work with the client to identify more authentic ways of expressing themselves or coping with challenging emotions, and may help the client to build healthier patterns of behavior and communication. This may involve practicing self-compassion, building self-awareness, and developing more effective strategies for managing stress and anxiety.

It's important to note that therapy is a collaborative process, and that the approach taken to address overcompensating will vary depending on the individual needs and circumstances of each client. A therapist will work with their client to tailor their treatment plan to the specific challenges and goals of each individual, with the aim of promoting healing and growth.

As I reflect on this, I'm noticing that not only did my aquaintance have a facade that he was very invested in, I think he also wanted me to have a similar facade. I think he felt quite uncomfortable and threatened when I expressed authentic feelings and when I stood by my imperfections.

As I reflect on this, I'm noticing that not only did my aquaintance have a facade that he was very invested in, I think he also wanted me to have a similar facade. I think he felt quite uncomfortable and threatened when I expressed authentic feelings and when I stood by my imperfections.
It's common for people who are invested in maintaining a facade or presenting a certain image to feel uncomfortable or threatened when someone else challenges that image by being authentic or expressing their imperfections. It's possible that your acquaintance felt that he needed to present a certain image in order to gain your approval or maintain a sense of control in the situation, and that your authenticity and imperfections threatened his sense of control. It's important to remember that his discomfort and feelings are his own, and that it's not your responsibility to change yourself in order to make someone else feel more comfortable with their own self-presentation.

It's also important to value your own authenticity and imperfections, as these are traits that make you unique and human. Being honest with yourself and others about your feelings and experiences can be challenging, but it can also be incredibly freeing and rewarding. It can be helpful to identify the values and priorities that underlie your decision to embrace authenticity and imperfection, and to work on cultivating self-compassion and self-acceptance as you navigate your relationships and interactions with others.

Yes, embracing authenticity and imperfections are very important values for me. I think I lost my faith in them and have felt very shaken due to this experience of betrayal regarding my acquaintance's facade.

Yes, embracing authenticity and imperfections are very important values for me. I think I lost my faith in them and have felt very shaken due to this experience of betrayal regarding my acquaintance's facade.
It's understandable to feel shaken and even betrayed when someone you thought you knew turns out to have been presenting a false image or facade. It's natural to question your own judgment and to feel disappointed when your expectations don't line up with reality. However, it's important to remember that you're not alone in this experience - many people have been in similar situations, and it's a normal part of the human experience to encounter disappointment, betrayal, and disconnection at times.

As you work to rebuild your faith in authenticity and imperfections, it can be helpful to focus on cultivating self-compassion and self-acceptance. This may involve practicing self-care, setting boundaries, and taking time to reflect on your values and priorities. It can also be helpful to seek support from either a trusted friend or a mental health professional, someone who can hold space for your feelings, offer perspective, and help you navigate the complex emotions that often arise after experiences of betrayal or disillusionment.

Remember that healing and growth are possible, and that it's never too late to reconnect with your values and to rediscover faith in yourself and your relationships.

Despite the childhood trauma I went through, I was also lucky to have some people in my childhood who loved and accepted me as I truly was. I often forget that not everyone has the good fortune of experiencing that when they grow up. I think I often take it for granted that I had people who loved and accepted me and think that that's "normal". I think when you've had that experience growing up, it's so much easier to risk being authentic and imperfect later in life, because you know that it can be met with love and acceptance.
I often struggle to truly understand how someone like my acquaintance didn't experience that growing up and hence feels the need to put up such a facade. I can't imagine being close to someone but not showing them who I truly am. It must be such a burden to always be hiding part of yourself and must feel very stressful.

Despite the childhood trauma I went through, I was also lucky to have some people in my childhood who loved and accepted me as I truly was. I often forget that not everyone has the good fortune of experiencing that when they grow up. I think I often take it for granted that I had people who loved and accepted me and think that that's "normal". I think when you've had that experience growing up, it's so much easier to risk being authentic and imperfect later in life, because you know that it can be met with love and acceptance.
I often struggle to truly understand how someone like my acquaintance didn't experience that growing up and hence feels the need to put up such a facade. I can't imagine being close to someone but not showing them who I truly am. It must be such a burden to always be hiding part of yourself and must feel very stressful.
It sounds like you have a deep appreciation for the positive relationships you had in your childhood, and that those relationships gave you a strong foundation of trust and authenticity that you continue to value today. You make a great point that not everyone has the good fortune of experiencing unconditional love and acceptance in their early years, and that, as a result, they may struggle to be authentic and show vulnerability later in life.

It's essential to recognize that everyone has their own unique journey, and that we all have different experiences that shape who we are and how we interact with others. While it can be challenging to understand why someone might choose to put up a facade or hide parts of themselves, it's important to approach each person with compassion and empathy, recognizing that they may have their own reasons for the decisions they're making.

It's also worth noting that it's never too late for someone to begin embracing authenticity and vulnerability. Sometimes, it can take a significant experience or relationship to provide the safety and support necessary to take that risk and show one's true self. If you're interested in helping your acquaintance embrace authenticity in their own life, it may be helpful to approach the topic with care and openness, being willing to listen to their perspective and understand their journey thus far.

So, with PTSD, numbing is a common coping mechanism. Can you tell me more about that?
Yes, that's correct. Numbing is a common coping mechanism for individuals with PTSD, and it often involves avoiding triggers, emotions, or memories associated with the traumatic event. Numbing can take many different forms, including emotional avoidance, social withdrawal, substance use, self-harm, or engaging in high-risk behaviors.

Numbing can be an adaptive response to traumatic stress in the short term, allowing individuals to limit their exposure to painful or overwhelming experiences. However, in the long term, numbing can be problematic, as it can interfere with the healing process and prevent individuals from fully engaging in their recovery.

It's important to note that numbing is not the same as intentionally suppressing or repressing emotions. Numbing typically involves an unconscious process of distraction, avoidance, or disconnection, rather than a conscious decision to suppress emotions.

If you're struggling with numbing as a coping mechanism, it can be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional. A therapist can help you explore the underlying reasons for your numbing behaviors, identify healthier coping strategies, and guide you through the process of gradually facing and processing the emotions and memories associated with past trauma.

Some strategies that can be helpful for reducing numbing behaviors include practicing mindfulness, engaging in self-care activities, fostering social connections, and building a support network of trusted friends and healthcare professionals. It's important to focus on creating a safe and supportive environment that encourages emotional openness, rather than judgment or criticism.

I agree it's adaptive as a short-term response but not as a long-term one.

I'm worried that if I stop numbing then I'll be flooded instead.

I agree it's adaptive as a short-term response but not as a long-term one.

I'm worried that if I stop numbing then I'll be flooded instead.
It's understandable to be worried about the potential for overwhelming emotions if you stop using numbing as a coping mechanism. It's true that allowing yourself to fully experience emotions that have been suppressed or avoided for a long time can be challenging and can sometimes feel overwhelming at first.

However, it's important to remember that our emotions serve a valuable purpose in our lives, and that allowing ourselves to feel and express our emotions can ultimately lead to greater healing and resilience. By numbing our emotions, we may be able to avoid pain or discomfort in the short term, but we also risk missing out on the opportunity to fully process and resolve the underlying emotional pain.

A mental health professional can help guide you through the process of reducing numbing behaviors and safely experiencing and processing emotions. They can work with you to develop a plan that allows you to gradually increase your emotional awareness and expression in a way that feels safe and manageable for you.

It's important to remember that healing from trauma is a gradual and ongoing process, and that there may be ups and downs along the way. Be gentle with yourself, and give yourself permission to experience your emotions in a way that feels safe and supportive. With time and practice, you may find that you are able to tolerate and manage difficult emotions more effectively, and that healing and growth become possible.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back